90 KTM 300 bearing part no. what does it mean?

DirtSquid

Apr 10, 2000
I am rebuilding my 1990 KTM 300 EXC.

The large bearing which the rear shock mounts to the linkage is totally shot & needs to be replaced. However the local KTM guys are quoting me $100 (CDN) for just the bearing!!!

I've pressed it out & taken the dimensions, and i have a KTM part no. - but i cannot cross-reference it with any comercially available bearings as i do not know what the KTM code translates to. Please help me, as i really do not want to spend this kind of money.

The dimensions are 18mm (id) x 32mm (o.d) x 16mm width.

The KTM no. is: 546.03.197.000

Redbird

May 9, 2001
Try checking a local bearing supply house. I have bought bearings for Husky , Kawasaki, and Yamahai at a local bearing supply house in my town. As long as you have the bearing were they can match it up they can probably get it for you at a fraction of the cost of OEM. Its worth a shot.

DirtSquid

Apr 10, 2000
Thanks for the reply,

I did go to the local bearing distributor, but he doesn't have anything that matches those dimensions & it was his advice to get a part no, etc. to see if he could cross-reference those numbers.

I will keep on looking. I do not want to machine bushings to match a commercially available bearing, but i will if i have to.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
A hundred bucks is too much; my dealer (Cycle Town South near Dallas) charges about $73. But KTM does not manufacture its own bearings; they are purchased from bearing makers. There should be a number on the bearing itself that a good bearing house can cross-reference. If not, take the bearing to a bearing house and ask them to match it.

DirtSquid

Apr 10, 2000
I agree a houndred is too much, however your supply at $73 = $110 (CAN). I did take the bearing to a good supply house, and they as well as others are unable to match to those dimensions. There is no discernable numbers to be found. I might have to buy the friggin thing!

I talked to a KTM guru here about replacing that needle roller bearing with a oil impregneted plain type bronze bushing, however he warns me that it will take out my shock shaft, as that will allow for no torsional movement - leading to snapping of bending the shock shaft.

I don't even want to price that out.

thanks for your replies.

DirtSquid

Apr 10, 2000
Another question, while i'm at it. Where can i find the information that lists the description of the part numbers., i.e. a 6mm bolt as listed in the chassis parts list gives a KTM number (0912080353) - where does it explain what that means. Is it microfiche's that the dealers have, a database, or manual & if so how do i get my hands on those?

thanks (venting)

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Dirtsquid, what dealer have you been talking to? I bet Helmut Clasen can get you fixed up with a bearing. Do you have the book that lists all the part numbers that came with the bike? If you dont, again, call Helmut. I know my 01 400EXCs manual had NSK Bearing cross reference for all the bearings. I hate NSK bearings, but FAG, SKF etc... all can cross reference NSK numbers. Helmuts number is (905)627-5349. Good Luck!

DirtSquid

Apr 10, 2000
Thanks, i dropped in at Helmet's on Friday & got the number as well as ordered a fiche that lists the part number details. Helmet has helped me in the past. However he still lists that bearing as $92.00. ouch.

thanks for the reply,

Mark

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Squid, this came to me via email from another DRN'er:

get GREASABLE HEIM bearings SC-16 is the size, under $20 bucks to boot!

http://www.edm-tooling.com/reb/pg16.htm

Main Office
Hirschmann Engineering USA, Inc.
1558 Barclay Blvd.
Buffalo grove, IL 60089
Phone 847-419-9890
Fax 847-419-9895
e-mail info@hirschmannusa.com

I did get seals from a local bearing shop but I do not have that
information with me right now.

Now as for a stock bearing/spacers:
>>Mike Kruger
>>Cycle Zone KTM
>>866-843-7433 toll free
kits are about $50 COMPLETE.

I did not do a zerk as I really think it is better to
clean/inspect/grease
this a few times a year.

Hope this helps!
Paul

Guaryzzzpode

Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by DirtSquid

The dimensions are 18mm (id) x 32mm (o.d) x 16mm width.

The KTM no. is: 546.03.197.000

Squid, could you check those numbers?? That 18mm is really strange, and I can´t find you an SKF equivalent.

DirtSquid

Apr 10, 2000
Yes, those dimensions are correct & yes i agree it is strange. However i have found a bearing number (i'm unsure of the manufacturer) - RPN018-32.

I have talked to the people listed in the previous post & contacted them about a replacement bearing. $19.20 ea., however it is 16mm x 32mm, and will require custom made bushings - but i have the capability to do that at minimal cost.

thanks,

Mark

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Sorry, I mistook the "90" in your post as "99". The item I'm referring to is for the PDS bikes.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…