90kdx Cracked cylinder, suggestions or help?

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I mentioned in a previous post that I noticed a small crack on the intake side of the cylinder. I took it to a machine shop and to get it repaired and sleeved is $340. To get it repaired and re-nicksel'd is $330. Both options will take about a month - argghhhh, I just want to ride.

I've already put a bunch of money into the bike and I hate to spend this much more when I haven't even touched the bottom end or suspension yet.

If anybody has any alternatives to these options - or suggestions on which one is better, please let me know.

Also, if anyone knows where I can track down a reasonably priced replacement for this cylinder I would be forever in their debt.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
There is a place in Canada that does it, I'm from Canada.. But the currency difference will work in your favour.

I'd recommend:

http://www.atelieradrienbernard.com/historical.htm

They did the cylinder on my KDX220, and they got it back to me the same week I sent it out.

When shipping across the border, if you declare the value of the part to be low, like say around $40 (afterall how much is it worth in it's current state), it'll get there with no hassles at all.

I paid $290 shipped for my cylinder to be done.. You have to remove all studs, oil seals, valves ect.. Take it all out.

Jon!

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Give Eric Gorr a call and talk to him about your options. He can repair the cylinder, open it up to a 225cc, recoat the cylinder and supply a top end kit or he might have a reconditioned cylinder and give you credit for yours. I sent him an 89 to 94 cylinder a while ago so I wouldn't be surprised if he's got one in inventory ready to ship.

If you are going to replace the cylinder you may as well go with one that will improve performance.

David

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
Thanks alot for all the replies, this forum is a lifesaver.

I might have given up on this bike a while ago if it wasn't for everybody's help.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom