91 KDX - Fork bushing question

sintax

Dec 20, 2006
I'm going to be rebuilding the forks on my 91 KDX200. Is there any special tool needed to remove the bushing in the lower for tube? I did them 6+ yrs back but never swapped the bushings...i need to this time

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
You will need to get a 14mm hex bit tool to loosen the bottom bolt/compression addjuster. Also, the FRP Offroad fork tool, or similar, would be needed to keep the damping rod from spinning. It works to loosen it, plus to tighten it to the proper torque on reassembly.

Don't forget that there are two inner bushings and two outer bushings. Also, don't forget to replace the seals when you do this.

sintax

Dec 20, 2006
Yes, i understand all of that good stuff, i was just not sure about how to get the bushings out. They are pressed into the lower tube correct? And the other set is on the upper tube, do those just slip off the tube?

paab

Aug 31, 2006
no special tools. A little heat and a careful pry with a small prybar will get the bushing out of the tube.

Also, you can just fully extend the fork and hit the bottom bolt with an air gun to split the fork.

sintax

Dec 20, 2006
paab said:
no special tools. A little heat and a careful pry with a small prybar will get the bushing out of the tube.

Also, you can just fully extend the fork and hit the bottom bolt with an air gun to split the fork.

So heat the tube or the bushing?

What about getting the upper bushing off of the tube? I dont recall how that all comes apart. Hopefully my 14mm slug will be at home waiting for me and i can pull it apart.

I'm aware of the trick of using the impact on the bottom bolt, thats how i got that sucker off last time, but i neglected to replace the bushings, so on Round 2, i'm going to do it right.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
When the tubes are seperated, the outer bushing can be slid off the tube. The inner bushing can be pried off with your fingers or a small flat head screwdriver.

Without a damping rod holding tool, you won't be able to accurately torque the bottom bolt.

You might want to buy a service manual, also. It will come in handy for more than this.

Top Bottom