92 KDX 200 KIPS exhaust advance rod

Tommy D

Oct 6, 2002
should the rod be easily turned from the lower case to the govener screw in the head? I just rebuilt the top end and ALL the exhasut parts in the head. They were wasted on the bike I just got (as in most cases) I have the factory manual, however it does not tell if this rod should easily twist, nor does it tell how to test this circut !! Before I start it up I would like to know if This rod should move freely while not running. I do know that the advance is in the upper 6000 rpm range.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
That depends on your definition of easily. The shaft is rotated by a centrifugal advancer located on the clutch side of the engine. The advancer is preloaded with a spring. You can rotate the shaft but you should feel some resistance as you overcome the tension applied by the spring. If the shaft moves freely without any resistance then chances are good it’s damaged/snapped. To get an idea of how the KIPS system works check out the JustKDX home page, click on tech tips then the KIPS article.

Be sure that when you reinstall the advancer you're careful to properly position its shaft on each end. It’s possible to correctly fit the case side of the shaft but misalign the clutch side so the shaft doesn't fit in the clutch cover properly. If the shaft in not properly installed then either the clutch side engine cover will split as you tighten it down or once the engine is fired up.

While you have the clutch cover off to check the shaft take a second to inspect the water pump shaft to ensure its still in good condition where it rides against the outer water pump shaft seal and unless seal has recently been replaced now would be a good time to do it. Also check the seal on top the clutch actuating arm where it comes out of the clutch cover and the shaft were the seal rides against. If the seal is in poor condition replace it, same with the shaft. When this seal starts to go bad water from either a water crossing or just washing the bike can get into the transmission.

I hope that helps,

David

Tommy D

Oct 6, 2002
Thanks Dave,
I just checked the rod. It moves very freely in both directions....I suspect there is still a problem with the rest of this shreaded exhaust valve system!!! There is no feeling of spring tension at all. I will surely go thru the right side of the engine as I have with the top end. Riddle me this.....is it ok to ride the bike for a few weeks untill I do a winter tear down? I have been riding it with a failed upper exhaust since I bought it a few months ago. I just don't want to damange all the new upper parts !!!

Thanks again for you help

tomKat

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Depends on why it's so loose.

If it's due to broken pieces in the actuator area...that could be problematic. Some riders have not had problems with the 'extra' pieces, some have grenaded their case.

You're going to have a big smile on yur face once this gets fixed!

Good luck.

Tommy D

Oct 6, 2002
I have been told that the lower end to mid power band will once again waken....I just want to ride...not have to get into the case untill winter..I just don't think it's worth the risk !!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom