92 kdx 250

Oct 27, 2012
Hello my name is Chris and live in NC ,just bought a 92 kdx 250 have been on 01 DRZ 400s for about a year all i can say is WOW this thing is a BEAST truely belive it would eat the DRZ for lunch .Have really enjoyed this site and bike look forward to learning more about the bike.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Good luck with your KDX250!

I really enjoyed my '91 and it was very reliable, too.

If you research old posts, you will find lots of info on set up.

Stone stock, the bike had too rich jetting, too soft fork springs, too much high speed compression damping in the fork, and it is tough to get foward on the seat. Your bike may have already had these items corrected.

It's going to be heavy (for a 250 two stroke) no matter what, though.

92 kdx 250

Oct 27, 2012
yes po had race tech re-do front forks for 180 lbs. i weigh 200 feels fine. Bike is very clean and faster than i expected really love it so far.havent dug into other mods po did but has FMF turbine silencer and seat re covered, maier bark busters and oury grips .What jets should i be looking for?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Can't remember off the top of my head, it's been a few years.

All the jetting specs should be in the archives on this site. I know I ran the leanest pilot jet kawi offers as an option. Check the microfiche at www.buykawasaki.com (I think it is a #38 and stock was a #42 or #45). Leaner main and needle, too. Also, I ran a leaner slide with 1mm more cut away, or some folks would grind 1mm off the bottom of the stock slide.

If your bike is not fouling plugs and it runs strong, chances are good it has already been leaned out.

Another common motor mod is to run a thin head gasket from an '88 KX250 for more compression / better low end power.

Some folks think the KDX250 turns a little slow for tight woods. You can run a smaller front sprocket and remove two links from the chain and run the rear wheel all the way forward to shorten the wheel base a little. My buddy and I also ran no preload on the forks to help the nose dive down for quicker cornering in tight single track.

FWIW, the bike has a heavy flywheel stock. I measured my '91 tank and my buddies '92 tank at 3.6 gallons, which is even bigger than Kawasaki says.

Top Bottom