93 KDX vs latest generation KDX (95+)

sasrocks

Nov 10, 2002
Guys help me out. I am in the market for a KDX and have a line on a clean 93. As most of you know, this year was the only , or one of the few, with inverted forks. It also does not have the perimeter frame of the 95 and later. Am unsure of motor or other deltas.

I am wondering what are the deficiencies in this model vs the latest generation, in the *real* world?? Keep in mind - this specimen checks out as a fairly well kept up, not thrashed item.

Less aftermarket options?
More frame flex?
What else???

help me out fellas... the price is attractive. And I am going to be doing basically trail riding - I think the 93 will be fast/good enough for my taste - getting back into dirt after a long absense (rode for 12 years). Given all this what would you give for it? $1,200? More?

teton

Dec 13, 2000
$1200.00 isnt bad for a real clean 93, for a few bucks more you can get a 95, is there a real noticeable difference? I think so, but its mostly in the lay out of the bike. You can have real fun on a 93, add a few performance mods and you can be set. I had a 91 and now have a 95, I have much more hop up goodies on this bike so its real hard to compare the power between the two bikes, seems like I have a bit more out of this bike, again though, I have more goodies.

If you do get you will enjoy it!

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
sasrocks,
Welcome to the KDX forum, if the 93 that you are looking at is in good shape it should make a great bike to get you back riding on. I had a 90 KDX before I got my 95 and and it never let me down. If you liked your KDX 175 you will love the 200. Good luck with your search.--Dan

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I had a '94 before I got 2001. I like the newer model much better. Lot of things--it feels lighter. Seems to have less torque, but revs better. I did not like upside down forks in the woods, but that is personal preference I guess. Lots of fun with any model, but remember since you will be getting "old model" it will really be dated when you move up and therefore you should make a good deal. When you find them, hop up parts for older models are usually cheaper, because of the reduced demand. Welcome back to the woods.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
1200 bucks for a clean 93 isnt bad. Here in my area that would be better then average pricing. I have noticed a VERY sharp down turn in the sales of bikes though and prices are coming down! Also it is the time of year when bikes become an item of storage for a lot of people. With both of those things in consideration, if it were here and I were really interested I would take $900 cash and make a solid offer - you can always go up in offer!!
I doubt very much that as a starter bike you will notice the difference between the two generations enough to make it worth the extra $$ for the newer bike. The bigger issue is in how well the 93 has been maintained!! It is REAL easy to eat up all those $ savings if you have to bring the 93 up to speed to make it rideable. Be sure and shake it down real well BEFORE you make an offer!
Remember its all about fun and repairing/rebuilding usually does not add fun!! Trouble free riding does!
Woodsy

sasrocks

Nov 10, 2002
thanks guys for the feedback. I am going to check it out this week - no hurry though as the market here seems to be fairly soft. I'll let ya know what happens.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Go for it. My '94 just got stolen, and it was one of my favorite bikes ever. I had no desire to move up to the newer generation model--I was planning on keeping the '94 forever and buying a KTM in the spring(for woods racing, not trail riding). I could never justify scrapping old faithful just to move up to a barely improved newer gen KDX. I actually prefer the riding height-position of the '94 and I liked the inverted forks better than the std forks of that generation(have no opinion of the '95-03 std forks). Thay are better in deep ruts and hold their line very well, but also come VERY soft so depending on your weight(actually I'd say regarless of your weight) you shuold re-spring them. I'm in the process of looking for another KDX as we speak, and will probably end up buying another 93-94...

teton

Dec 13, 2000
If you can get it for less than 1200. that would be great, like mentioned above, try for $900 or so, cant hurt.

KDX-Jack

Oct 21, 2001
Hey fuzzy, check out my 93 on ebay. Email if you're interested. Sorry to hear about the SOB who stole the ride though.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I bought a well maintained 94 with a pipe & silencer for $1,400 two years ago; I too would try to lower the price a bit.
For trail riding, I doubt you would notice much difference between new vs. old style (all things being equal, especialy condition & maintenance).
Both bikes would cost the same to modifiy regarding suspension, carb, & exhasut system for increased performance

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…