94 rm 250 not running..help a noob out...

vitamin thc

Jun 25, 2006
hey all, okay i bought a suzuki rm 250 off a buddy at work, he told me that it needed a stator, so i bought the stator bought the tool to get at the stator, but i can't seem to get the rotor off(if thats even what it's called) i am new at this stuff, i am used to atv's, i have an idea how the tool works, but every time i try to remove the rotor, i reef on the thing as hard as i can with a socket, but i don't want to break anything, so i stop. but it doesn't seem like it even budges. also i bought a new spark plug and put it in, it is getting spark, but it just wont start. any help would be great. :bang: :(

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
are you getting a good spark? Have you pulled the carb and cleaned it real well, checked the jetting, new fuel, clean air filter and make sure the reeds arent cracked?

vitamin thc

Jun 25, 2006
94 rm 250 not running...help a noob out...

okay i bought a 94 rm 250 off a buddy at work for $500. he told me to get it running i would have to get a new stator, so i did, and then i bought a tool to get the rotor off to get at the stator, the problem is when i try to use the tool, it doesn't seem to budge the rotor, i reef on it as hard as i can with a socket, but i don't want to break anything, so basically how do i get it off?? also it is getting spark right now(pulled the plug off the spark plug and arc'ed it to the motor and saw sparks every time i kicked it over. any ideas?? i am new to the dirt bike world. please help... :bang: :bang:

vitamin thc

Jun 25, 2006
wow, that was quick,yeah the spark seems alright, the carb i haven't touched, the air filter is fine and i don't know how to check the reeds.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
you need 3 things to start a bike mainly, Spark, Air, and fuel. if it wont start one of those is most likely the problem. Since you have spark, its prob your fuel if the air filter is clean. Carb prob needs a good cleaning though. Do yourself a favor and try to get a manual for your bike, it will make things a lot easier. Also how is your compression? If your compression is really low that would also cause it not to start sometimes

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
The Stator seems just fine stop messing with it. Pull the plug, kick is slow a few times, spray a shot of eather (starting fluid) in, replace the plug, give it a kick. If still no go your timing may be off if someone rotated the CDI pickup. Look for marks and index lines in the non spinning part of your stator setup. If it does start look at the fuel and reed valves. Sometimes just flipping the reeds on the block of tired valves is enough to get it running a bit.
BTW, to remove the stator an impact gun is the best bet. The puller works by pressing the rotor off the shaft. you can also make it tight by hand and give the head of the puller shaft a few smacks with a hammer. The vibration is somtimes enough to bounce the rotor off. Some times is takes a few wacks, a bit more tightning, few wacks, etc.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
To pull, or not to pull...

I'm assuming that you did remove the flywheel nut.

To pull the flywheel, do like JasonJ said. Tighten the puller like you did, give the puller a tap on the end of screw-in part. Still didn't break loose? Tighten a bit more and do it again.

You will need to check/set the timing which will require a timing gage. Spring for the shop manual.

Top Bottom