'96 KDX200 Jetting Issues, Need Help!!!

KDX Dad

Jun 30, 2007
Ok, I need help.
I have maybe one of the cleanest '96 200s around (still on the original tyres) and I just can't get it to run worth a darn.
When I bought it the PO had a 35 pilot jet in it along with a different needle and it never really ran right. There always some transition issues between pilot and needle.
I installed the proper 45 and put the stock needle back in and now it runs like dog-doo. It's basicly a 1/2 throttle and up kinda bike now. It'll idle when first started but not after it warms up. This is all pointing to a very rich condition, even tho I'm following the time tested jetting specs from JustKDX.
Bike has a stock expansion chamber, FMF silencer and I'm guessing that there was a small snorkle on the airbox lid but now it's just a trapezoidal hole that looks to be factory.
Any thoughts?
Thanx.

Last edited:

KDX Dad

Jun 30, 2007
Sorry, the needle is the stock one and is new. Changing clip positions has a minimal effect since the pilot is so far outta whack...
Float height is correct and the carb is clean.
Thanx!

KDX Dad

Jun 30, 2007
I was sorta fishing around to see if there was a common mod that would make the bike want such a smaller pilot.
I've got more time now that I'm home from deployment instead of just on leave. I'm seeing a call to Sudco in my future, with a set of pilot jets being sent my way. I'll also dig in deeper to look a the reeds and what-not.
Thanx.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Have you checked your choke assembly? Don't know that I have ever heard anyone having problems with one, but it does fit the description of the problem.

AwfulSmokey

Oct 15, 2007
Use the air screw to tune it in. If it's running rich, come out with the air screw and see how the throttle responds. If you only come out a turn or 2 and it runs good, drop down 1 jet size. My 89 200 is running a 152 MJ 42 PJ and a CGK needle 2nd clip from bottom.

My bike is stock except for the reeds and lid removed. If you have work done to yours, you should be even leaner i believe.

Top Bottom