KeithKDX

May 31, 2006
I just got my rm 125 top end rebuilt and i took my time and broke it in correctly. The other week I got on it and went threw the gears and the power vavle armature slipped off but i tightend it up and its been fine since. But as soon as I got it started it is making some sort of ticking sound and reving a little high i rode it and it seems to rev out quite quickly and i cant figure out whats wrong with it. I check to piston clerence and its fine another thing is the power valve suppose to move in and out when idleing in netrual? any ideas would greatly help i got the engine off the bike today and ready to ripe it apart tomarrow to try to figure somthing out. thx

KeithKDX

May 31, 2006
Alrighty, I took her all apart today and noticed the power valves were put in wrong. They are a lil chiped on the end and rubbed the piston a little but not too bad. I put everything back together and started it up. Its still making the ticking sound and I rode it for a liltle while it still seems like the power band kicks in but not real hard like how it should. The bike died and I cant get it started back up it just keeps backfiring and making an air sound from the cyclinder any ideas???

slapshot1540

Jul 27, 2008
run a compression test u may have scored ur cylinder wall or tha ports or sumthin pretty bad cuz thay did sumthin wrong with the power valve wen thay rebuilt ur top end so u may hafta rebuild it again or bore it out if uve messed stuf up 2 bad

KeithKDX

May 31, 2006
The walls and everything looked alright. Im guessing is it possible for of it to hit that valve hard enough that it nocked it out of time? And that is why its backfiring and not starting back up?

yzwoods

Aug 2, 2006
You have a air leak hens the rev. Why dint you replace the valve?
That ticking is prob pre det. It should not be out of time but check your mag none the less. But this will continue till you replace a chiped valve as its sucking air.

KeithKDX

May 31, 2006
Well ill have to order new valves its only been two days i cant just get them. And what do u mean check your mag? Ill check the compresion here in a sec and post it

KeithKDX

May 31, 2006
Problem solved I did a compression test and it was about 85 so i took off the top end and noticed the ring on the pistin was worn in the front from the power valve rubbin it \o/

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Take a closer look at the powervalves. Those years are notorious for breaking at the shaft. I'm betting the powervalve(s) are/is hitting the piston... If one valve is broken and "floating", replace them both (saving a piston) 'cause the next one will go soon too. I speak from experience. Sweet handling bikes... bad powervalve design.

Top Bottom