1982 YZ 125 any good? possible trade for the RM

chillywilly

Jul 12, 2008
So as some of you know i am in the process of fixing up a 84-85 rm125. The guy that i got it from calls me and askes if i want to trade for a 82 yz125, as he picked up a mint 85 rm 125 and he would like a parts bike, aka mine. As you may know my rm is far from complete, needs a head, pipe, carb, stator, piston, and rod kit. The yz is all there except a side plate, and a couple of little things. He also notes that it has low comp, wich does not bother me as the rm needs a bore and piston as well. The way i see it is that i would be farther ahead to trade down and get a bike that is almost all there. But this is were you experts come into play, 1. what is the power valve motor like, good, bad, ticking time bomb or what. I see it has a boreable cyl as there is oversize pistons available. 2. what is the story with the rad on the front of the tripple tree, i understand that the coolant flows through the stem, but don't understand it fully as i have not seen the bike yet. So if you have a few seconds and some knowlage on the bike, please chime in, thanks, Bill.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I have an 83 yz125, and had a '98 yz250. The power valves were similar, nothing to worry about. The early power valves did not make a huge difference. The 81 and 82 125s issues were the coolant through the steering, tended to leak, often washing grease from steering bearings. I believe some people re-routed the hoses around the stem with reasonable results. I believe I have heard that the extra weight of the radiator so high made for a sluggish steering feel also. The decsion would probably be made based on intended use in my mind. If for general off road playing around, the yz. If for vintage mx and the RM fits in a class. RMs, especially 125s have no low rpm power, but lots at high rpms: YZs tend to have a little more at low rpms, although no mx125s really make much there!! Just my thoughts, I'm sure others have more familiarity with the bikes.

Top Bottom