97 250exc overheating?? Ing coil problems

RHNASON

May 27, 2002
Ok I have heard some issues with the KTM 250 EXC overheating , with a uotright shutdown, I was out in the Wrentham Forest Sunday, Put in 12 miles of losse trails ( Thanks to the quads) and I ad a issue with the bike just stopping, let it sit for 10 minutes, then it was fine, ran it another 10-15 minutes same thing, now with no spark, ?? I had to push her out of the woods, and it ended my riding day very early , anybody have a clue, Coil ??

Old_harry

Jul 2, 2002
I rode franklin state forest sunday on the same bike... early morning was not too hot. I was done by 11am though...
Check your jetting. If it pings when you cut the throttle. your too lean and will run hotter. I also run no thermostat or fork boots.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
you noted no spark. Makes it sound ignition related. I had a similar problem with my 97 300 EXC last year... time intervals between failures was shorter for me - but what it was was the wires from the ignition running up the frame to under the tank were melting through on the pipe - then it would cool, pull away, run fine...once it got hot enough would melt, killl ingition...repeat. I had the exact same issue many years ago on a 79 RM 400...killer to diagnose as it would suddenly work fine minutes later. I wonder if yours finally got stuck enough to not pull away when cool so it has kept the ingition shorted out. Check that wire, tape it up, re route it etc. see what happens!

RHNASON

May 27, 2002
Hey guys thanks I did pull the sucker apart , still no spark, I inspected all the wiring under the tank area they all "feel" fine, years ago I rode a Husky 125 XC it would melt the wire interinally , the outside looked fine,

The bike was running very well that morning , then poof nothing , then after a short spell it started fine, at the last point it died I was to close to a intersecting road ( easy push) to try it again, Just a 30 minute wait for my riding buddies to pick me up, Must have been 50 cars that went by me, and no one even stopped to see if I was ok, Nice people we have up north . I`m just a little busy now, and wont` have achance to look at it for a week or so

Thanks for the input

Cheers RHNason

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom