97 Kdx 220

racrboy1987

Dec 27, 2004
As im looking for a used bike, Ive stumbled upon a 220 in my area. I havent looked at it yet, but the price is right. I need to know if this is a good beginner bike for me. Im about 6 ft tall and weigh about 140. Anything in particular I should look for being a 97. The ad says it was just serviced and has new tires. Anything else?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
220's have had a history of fatigued pistons; find out if it has had a new top end - if not plan on putting a wiseco kit in it.

Wiggle the rear linkage around to see if there's any play - there about $200 worth of bearings in that rear suspension.

feel the front steering to see if it feels smooth or notchy -if it feels like it "clicks" a little the steering head bearings are shot.

look at the air cleaner to see if it clean, may tell you something about how it was taken car of it it's clean.

ya, it will be a great bike to start off on, their fun as hell

louis

Sep 2, 2002
I suspect the 1987 may be the year of your birth? It might be advantageous and cost effective if you could find an old (over 40) enduro rider to go with you. Years of experience and another set of eyes may save you cash and grief in the future. Good luck. Let us know. KDX would be a great bike for you.

racrboy1987

Dec 27, 2004
Yea, thats my birthyear, my uncle is heavy into dirtbikes, so hes there to ride along with my dad who is getting back into them. Thats why Im looking to buy one, quality time, you know. Im really leaning toward the 220, just have to see what shape its in. Thanks
Matt

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…