catfood

Mar 18, 2007
Installed a new PC2 pipe this weekend and had the bike suddenly rev without being able to control throttle, clutch did not disengage, and kill switch did not work. Got lucky and locked up the bike which killed the engine. Can use some advice on this. Am I having problems with sudden lean condition? Never happened with stock pipe.
:whoa:

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
What does the lean condition have to do with the lack of throttle control? Sounds like 2 seperate issues. Is the throttle cable kinked?

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
catfood said:
Installed a new PC2 pipe this weekend and had the bike suddenly rev without being able to control throttle, clutch did not disengage, and kill switch did not work. Got lucky and locked up the bike which killed the engine. Can use some advice on this. Am I having problems with sudden lean condition? Never happened with stock pipe.
:whoa:

The pipe itself has nothing to do with the sticking throttle. Sounds like you kinked the throttle cable when you installed the pipe...

catfood

Mar 18, 2007
Throttle cable was not kinked nor did it show any other damage. I was riding a trail, suddenly realized that the engine would not rev down. Throttle seemed to move with no binding feel when it happened. Pilot jet is 45, main is 155. 50 to 1 mix MC-1. Thought lean condition because of experience with small two stroke motors when they ran out of fuel. Also really woke up the bike with the PC2 pipe and question if it may have any effect on the bike revving up unexpectedly.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
When the throttle closes the fuel flow stops. If the throttle won't close then it is a throttle problem.

The pipe has no effect on "unexpectd" reving.

joebiodiesel

Dec 6, 2006
I don't pretend I know what happened to your bike, but I know that when my jetting is right on the money, or a little lean, my 2 strokes will run away when coming off a high rev with no load. They'll scream until you load them or kill the ignition. I've seen it on my snowmobile, motorcycle and my boat. My boat, a 200HP Merc Black Max has a factory ignition kill box on it for that exact reason. If the vacuum goes high it kills the spark until it idles.
If I had to guess, I might think that the pipe leaned it out, you had a no-load run away and just got a little confused about the kill switch and clutch not working during the panic. I'd check my jetting to be sure it's not too lean before putting too many hours on it.
Good luck,
Joe

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
No load runaways are caused by air leaks. Loaded runaways are caused by stuck throttles. Check for smooth operation of the slide in the carb, the throttle cable, CHECK the throttle cable freeplay, etc...

radonc73

Nov 1, 2006
Take your throttle housing off at the bar and clean the crap inside out. Mine had alot of fine dust built up in it and check the throttle slide for marks.

catfood

Mar 18, 2007
I appreciate all the replies. The bike is parked until I can work through the suggestions on all the posts. Many thanks. :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom