Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
I'm needing a set of rear spokes and nipples for my '98 KDX200. Does anyone know a good place to get some aftermarket spokes/nipples? I've tries the Sagesdirtand street site, and it is defunct. OEM are ridiculous.

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
wibby said:
I just bought some for my '92 at www.ronayers.com
The rear spokes were $2.88 a piece an the nips $1.47

Look up the part #'s at www.buykawasaki.com

Same p/n for my '98. I buy almost all OEM parts from RonAyers.com, but geez-louise!!! 2.88 X 36 + 1.47 X 36 = 156.60!!! No thanks this time, Ron.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Use a good wrench! The so-called wrench in the kdx toolkit (handle end of the plug wrench) is only going to goober up the nipple.

Well, that applies more to post-assembly adjustment (to a non non-stick assembled wheel) than a complete lace-up.

Excel has KDX sets for around $80. Nice splined nipples that take a special wrench (enclosed with 'kit').

The angle of the Excel spokes is a bit off. Not a problem with a complete replacement (the wheel will 'set' to whatever angle the spokes are bent to). It is a problem if you are using parts of the set to replace 'some' spokes on an OEM laced wheel.

You can use a #3 phillips on the inside of the wheel to initially tighten OEM nipples.

Also, even though specifically listed for the '00 KDX 200, the Excel set requires a hole-size different than the oem KDX wheel. 8.5mm I think it is.

The local shop guy said to just drill the rim.

I chose not to do that. I got spokes/nipples from the local dealer to the tune of $8/spoke, $2.50/nipple.

See? You're getting a killer deal!!

Attachments

• ds193930.jpg
    ds193930.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
Thanks

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm ordering an Excel kit (pitposse.com $72.95), got some drill bits and anti-sieze compound. I'm quite confident I can hurt myself now to the tune of a drilled finger or smashed thumb, and somehow still get the task completed. :cool: :yeehaw:

Ya know, fixing up this '98 beater has been fun and educational and all, but I'm ready to let 'er rip! :ride:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Racer X said:
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm ordering an Excel kit (pitposse.com $72.95), got some drill bits and anti-sieze compound. I'm quite confident I can hurt myself now to the tune of a drilled finger or smashed thumb, and somehow still get the task completed. :cool: :yeehaw:

Ya know, fixing up this '98 beater has been fun and educational and all, but I'm ready to let 'er rip! :ride:

Jay - If you are interested i have an oversized spoke/nipple set for the KDX (mines a 99 200) that i ordered from Buchanan and never ended up using. Still in the box. I think i might have front and rear (i'd have to check as i don;t trust my memory anymore these days).

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
KDX Spokes

KelvinKDX said:
Jay - If you are interested i have an oversized spoke/nipple set for the KDX (mines a 99 200) that i ordered from Buchanan and never ended up using. Still in the box. I think i might have front and rear (i'd have to check as i don;t trust my memory anymore these days).

Thanks anyway, Kelvin. I just found some locally.

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Jeff Fredette has a heavy duty kit that he sells. They were Buchanan spokes. It’s been a couple of years but I seem to recall that they were KX250 spokes (what year, I’m not sure). Price was (at the time) in the $50-$60. The spokes were heavier gauge than the stock KDX, but fit right in. No muss, no fuss, no drilling.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I had to replace six spokes a few months ago and got the OEMs for about six bucks including nipples. I decided then that next time I would use that as an excuse to some some new Excel rims.

Top Bottom