Received Buchanan Spoke Set for KDX200 Rear Wheel

1911user

Jun 16, 2004
In this thread (http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=100535) I had ordered a set of replacement spokes for the rear wheel on my 90 kdx200 (E2 model). Here is the report on them.

They arrived to today via UPS and packaged well. This spoke set (KMX507SH) is advertised for KX125-500 models but was told on the phone it would fit my kdx. I tried a spoke (in place of a broken one) and it fit into the hub just right and was the right length. The new spokes are noticably thicker (0.165 dia.) than the stock ones. The spokes are stainless steel and the nipples are cadmium-plated carbon steel.

The nipples are beefy (0.320 inch body) and thread onto the spokes smoothly but not loose. I have a Rowe spoke wrench which has 2 slots that narrow down and are sized 1 through 6. The stock nipple was a loose fit in the size "2" slot; the new spoke is a snug fit in size "1" which is the largest on the wrench.

If you decide to order, I suggest calling them to make sure they send the right spokes. The lady I talked to twice was helpful and knowledgable. Make sure to know your rim width before ordering; they'll ask. Total cost was $59 for the spoke/nipple set plus $7.50 ground shipping. I ordered at noon and they shipped that day.

EDIT: The nipples are 0.320 dia which require drilling the holes in the rim to a larger size. I used a 21/64 drill bit to enlarge the holes then the new nipples fit easily. I also did a test and drilled a different stock hole with 5/16 (20/64) but it wasn't large enough and barely removed any metal. Remember to drill in the same direction as the original hole.

For .320 nipples, I suggest finding a 21/64 drill bit rather than using a 3/8 which would be the next common size up for many smaller bit sets. The shoulder on the nipples that touches the rim isn't very wide anyway and it has to support alot of pressure. Going from 20/64 to 21/64 bits made the difference between drop-in fit versus not fitting into the hole. A 3/8 bit is 3/64 inch larger than required; it's not worth the risk of having a nipple pull through the rim during a hard landing.

Last edited:

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Great! That's what I need to do. Lately, I'm replacing a couple of spokes with every tire change. $$$
Is your rim the same as mine? I have an '03 220.

1911user

Jun 16, 2004
bcVulcan said:
Great! That's what I need to do. Lately, I'm replacing a couple of spokes with every tire change. $$$
Is your rim the same as mine? I have an '03 220.

My rear rim is 18x1.85. Yours is 18x2.15 per the buykawasaki.com website. I suggest a call to Buchanan, they will know if they have spokes to fit your bike.

1911user

Jun 16, 2004
EDIT: All information about drilling the rim are moved to the first post for easy reference if anyone does a future search.

Last edited:

1911user

Jun 16, 2004
The rim needed to be drilled to 21/64 inch to match the 0.320 nipples. I moved all other info to the first post to keep the review in one place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom