98' yz125

ShaneG

Sep 6, 2006
Summer of 06' I bought myself a 1998 yz 125 in decent condition for a good price. I bought the bike in Delaware and I live in VA (I was staying in DE for the summer) when I came back home to VA my bike ran decent but the plugs fouled a lot. I didn't get to get on it as much as I wished because their wasn't much room at my house to. When I would go to friends and ride I kept it wound tight and didn't have as many problems. The only thing I figured was the jetting was made for up there obviously, but I dont see it effecting that much, maybe its where I'm still new to the whole dirt bike thing? Well in November I took the bike back up there for a ecea race at Blue diamond (rode there a lot) and the it fouled a plug once... During the race it did great, didn't foul one but at the same time it didn't chug any at all. Well I kept the bike up there and for my birthday my aunt and uncle rebuilt my top end and my uncle says it runs damn good now. I was once told that fouling plugs left and right could be a sign of needing your top end rebuilt. The compression on it wasn't much but now he says that has increased and the power has def. incresed :laugh:. My question(s) for you guys is, I always ran NGK plugs (BR8ES) which is what the book calls for, and later on I started using AMSOIL oil buring it like it says 50:1 and it seemed to do better. GNCC Steele Creek is up this weekend and I'm going and actually getting race this year (last year I pitted my cousin and his friends). But anyway I know I typed a book here but you think with the new top end the plugs shouldnt foul as much? I plan to continue running the AMSOIL 50:1 and I plan to take a few spark plugs in my camel back aswell! Thanks for reading guys!

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
running 50:1 in a 125? Plan an engine rebuild soon. Try leaning out the pilot jet first.

ShaneG

Sep 6, 2006
The reason I run 50:1 is because thats what it calls for. I asked one of the guys at the local shop in DE about it and thats what he said he runs

Jun 5, 2006
50:1 is probably okay as long as the oil you're running is a very nice pure synthetic. must likely the reason for your plug fouling is just a bit of slightly rich jetting. probably one size down in the pilot is all you will need.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…