99 WR400 with 01 WR426 Carb (FCR gen2) Help!

fadingfastsd

Sep 7, 2005
Hey guys, I'm having a problem I just cannot figure out.
Please help me get to the bottom of this. I've searched all over TT and have not found an answer.

I have a 99WR400, YZ timed, all free mods, stock exhaust head/mid pipe with FMF PowerCore IV can.

The bike has run very well and been very reliable. The stock carb started leaking from the overflow regularly due to a damaged needle valve/seat in the float bowl. Rather than replacing those parts, I came across a carb off a 01 WR426 for very cheap ($65 for carb & 01 WR426 head pipe to replace my crappy stock 99WR400 head pipe that blocks the oil filter cover).

So...I pulled the 426 carb & my 400 carb apart. The 426 carb is the newer generation Keihin FCR flat slide with the integrated hot start & the internal accel pump. I had my old carb jetted correctly and dialed in w/ a ZipTY fuel screw, so I wanted to swap my old jets into the newer carb. Here are my initial jet settings:

-main: 172
-Pilot: 45
-Pilot air jet: 65 (i hope i'm not confusing the Pilot & PAJ here)
-needle on 4th clip down from top (was set like that when i got it)

So I clean the carb, everything looks good, and I put it on the bike.
I give it a couple kicks, and notice I had to plug the vacuum line on the head, since the new carb has internal hotstart. I do that.

Kick it again, the bike won't start. I pull the hotstart on the carb to see what happens. 1 kick and it fires right away. As soon as I push the hotstart back in, the bike dies. So I figure its running way to rich. I adjust the fuel screw pretty much all the way in to compensate, kick it without the hotstart, still won't start. So I pull the hotstart out again, bike starts immediately. The fuel screw seems irrelevant.

So now I figure the bike is set way to rich, since it will only run with the hotstart leaning it out. I pull the carb to check the needle, and it was on the 4th clip down from top. I move it up to the 2nd clip down from top to lean it out. Put the carb back on the bike, fuel screw at standard ~2 turns out.

Bike still not start, not even pop without the hotstart on. So now I'm very confused. I pulled the hotstart plunger off the bike and clean it out. Put it back in, same thing.

What the hell is going on!!!?? I figure my jetting should be pretty close, as the bike ran excellent with these jet settings on the old carb. Why will the bike only start with the hotstart on (plunger out), and dies as soon as I turn hotstart off (plunger in). Why does the fuel screw make no difference!?

Please help!!!!!

Evan
If theres any pictures or more explanation I can provide to help let me know!

fadingfastsd

Sep 7, 2005
I have a 170 main that came in the 426 carb when I got it, so i'll swap that out. The smallest pilot I have is a 45 which is in it right now. Wouldn't going to 4th clip on the needle (which is where it was at to begin with) richen it up more, which seems to be the problem?

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
A properly jetted wr426 carb will work very good on a yz400 set up.
Not sure what the needle of the day is anymore but most of the FCR carbs I have dealt with have me build the jetting around the needle selection. The needle is very sensitive and akin to changing cam timing IMHO.
Running a 170 main sounds kinda weird. What needle do you have? My personal favorite was the EKP, albiet it has been a while...
Regards, Bill

dbc

Dec 7, 2003
SFO said:
A properly jetted wr426 carb will work very good on a yz400 set up.
Not sure what the needle of the day is anymore but most of the FCR carbs I have dealt with have me build the jetting around the needle selection. The needle is very sensitive and akin to changing cam timing IMHO.
Running a 170 main sounds kinda weird. What needle do you have? My personal favorite was the EKP, albiet it has been a while...
Regards, Bill

Bill, is that you??
It's me- Dan

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Check the plug to verify it is a lean condition that is causing it to die. Wet or dry? Your issue is in the pilot circuit. When you get it to with in 1 pilot jet size, then the mixture screw will be affective.

dbc

Dec 7, 2003
Does your carb look like this? (Not my bike)
DSC04902.jpg

Could be your missing the choke, not the hot start...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom