99 yz 125 seized

Sep 19, 2007
hey all i have a question i went riding today and my bike locked up grinded to a stop with the clutch held with the bike in gear the tire would not spin easily and i cant kick it at all is it my tranny or seized piston?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Would the tire spin easily before when it was in gear and the clutch held in?

It is not unusual for there to be a significant amount of clutch drag. I often need to shift to neutral in order to start my bike due to clutch drag. If this hasn't changed then it isn't part of the problem.

Riding along, a sudden loss of power followed by a rear wheel skid to a stop is a very common engine seize sequence. It is very unlikely to be the transmission and even if it is the first steps will be the same: Get the cylinder off and see what you've got. If it isn't a seize you need to tear it even further apart.

Since your piston is still stuck I recommend that you get it unstuck before you remove the cylinder head. Remove the spark plug and then spray in a good amount of WD-40., let it soak for a while. Put the transmission into a high gear (5th/6th) and then rock the bike back and forth and try to get the piston to break loose.

Rod

Sep 19, 2007
99 yz

well i checked the plug it was good drained the fluid good too pulled the top of the motor where plug is and found some kind of build up so i took it to a mechanic i know across the street and showed him it and asked if this looks like the rings turned out to be plastic sleeve and piston look ok no scratches so i pulled the reeds of to see the crank and saw what looked to be broken metal was wedged in pretty good so i tapped on the piston to free it up pulled out the garbage i thought was metal was really plastic i looked online for somekind of platic bearing of somekind and stumbled upon pictures of a wiesco crank and noticed that there was small plastic peices held in with screws so im guessing these failed ? i did hold the plastic next to a pic of a crank and it looks almost identical to the plastic on a crank problem found ?

Douglas777

Sep 19, 2007

This is ONE sentence! Slow down and we can help you.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The big end of the rod took a crap and over heated the crank halves and melted the filler pieces so you will have to get a complete engine kit from hot rod or wiseco and rebuild the motor good luck and it is hard to type like this without periods and commas

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…