99 YZ250 compression valve removal ?

Formula

Sep 21, 2000
I am doing a fluid change on my 1999 YZ250 forks. I have the top cap, spring and rod out and most of the fluid has drained. I want to get the rest of the fluid out and check the condition of the compression valve.

I have stopped at this point to find out some more info.

I have done a search and also have a quote here from MX-Tech but just to be sure since I don’t want to ruin more than I can afford to fix, I have some questions on the compression valve removal.

After removing the top cap, spring and rod, can I go ahead and start loosening the compression valve? Do I need to hold the damper rod\fork rod (unsure of name) in place at all ?

I have a choice of a using a long extension wrench or my electric impact tool. I am hesitant on the electric impact tool as it doesn’t slow down like an air tool and once it breaks the compression valve loose it may just spin it all the way out which was not recommended and I don’t want to ruin any threads.

Here is the quote

“Taking a 14mm Allen socket (Impact style) and an impact wrench remove the base valve assembly. (Apply downward pressure against the fork rod using a clean towel. This insures that the valve is moves outward as apposed to the valve pushing the fork cylinder out.) Use short bursts and not long durations of RPM as this can damage the components.”

This sounds too good to be true - I expected 3 special tools and 6 hands and 4hrs per side type of job. I hope I am not missing anything, any more input would be appreciated since I am still nervous on this one.

Thanks

Formula

Sep 21, 2000
Done....................... finally, as always there has to be some glitch in the job - one side CV would not tighten so I had to make a holder tool out of some black house vacuum extension pieces (funny but it worked) instead of poly vinyl chloride tubing.

Now my question is since I am manualless what is the fork spring free length of a 1999 YZ250. I got 46.1cm, what does Yamaha say ?

It's late must sleep.

Thanks.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom