yami99_250

May 4, 2006
I've have a 99 yz250 for 2 yrs now and have toyed a little with the suspension because originally it was way way too stiff. All of the springs are stock. I am a 150lb moderate mx and beginner freestyle rider. I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to start calibrating in my suspension. Probably stock but I don't have a manual, anyone know what they are? Should I start playing with the forks or shock first. I'm not sure if my shock spring is adjusted correctly either, so I am also looking for a good sag height. As far as I know it should be around 10cm difference from axle to fender from slightly pulling up on the fender to letting go in a free-standing position, while the bike is level? I am very knowlegable with bike motors and just about everything else, I've split a few trani's and replaced shift forks and crank bearings, but am pretty far behind on the suspension details. I know it is purely rider preference but I could sure use a few tips. Currently with a stiff shock it wants to pile right through corners and doesn't soak up anything like it should. Some tips would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.. P.S. I also build very inexpensive freestyle ramps (a fraction of evelution ramps), 20' long (the last 5' folds up) x 8' tall, trailer setups with retractable wheels, and am working on a kicker and 50 ramp designs, available soon!, for Q's, pics, or prices just e-mail me... Thanks again!

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
Yami99, try these as a starting point, then make sure your forks are aligned properly and not binding.
Shock
comp low: 8-10 out (align punch marks high and low)
comp high: 1 1/4 turns out
rebound: 12 out
Race sag 90-100mm

find some braking bumps before a turn, then ride back and forth and play with the clickers to get it closer.

Don't go big until you feel out the settings, or you might end up on the ground.

Top Bottom