a different kind of spooge...

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Long story short: Riding on Saturday, about 45 miles or so until we hit a wide open, whooped out sandy section (Michigan). Its part of the snowmobile trail and fun to blast. I rode with a bunch of guys, including a guy on a 525.
No way to keep up with him, but I wound out the KDX pretty hard regardless. As we stopped to wait for the rest of the group, I started to smell some weird stuff. Upon further inspection, it came out of my silencer. Not the typical spooge, much lighter in color (almost kinda tan) and it smelled like a burned brake or sg. I suspected transmission fluid (seal), but it didn't look like I lost any (I run ATF). So then I started thinking it might be old spooge caught in the pipe (from the days of piss poor jetting;)), maybe it got so hot that I cooked that and blew it out the silencer?
I experienced no loss of power, no smoke. Bike ran fine for the whole ride.
Any thoughts?
I'd hate to think I have a blown seal :bang:

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Could be a mix of spooge and condensation, flush it out with kero and see if it returns.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Sounds like water alright. How's your radiator water level? If it's down check your head gasket...then go from there.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I've experianced the same. I think you are cooking out old spooge. If you are using an FMF spark arrester, you can pull it apart and check the packing. Then, if you repack with fresh, it shouldn't happen again. It does smell bad, doesn't it!?

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
It smelled like...serious trouble;) Thought for a minute I was rebuilding over the next few weeks.
I had just recently repacked my FMF, but I do think the pipe had quite a bit of spooge left in it. Time to fix the dents and clean it out too.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Maybe the bike has diarrhea. Try Imodium AD.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If a crank seal was bad you would either be real lean (sucking air) or see the effect of burning transmission fluid thru a dropping oil level and (more likely) plug fouling, smoke and smell.

No way to keep up with him, but I wound out the KDX pretty hard regardless.

It's the latter part of that sentence that's more likely the 'issue'...which is likely not really an 'issue' at all.

Who approved of this message? ;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Ask google about it and IT says:

Did you mean: imodium ??

;)
**edit**
Hey! Where's the fun if you edit the Amodium out? ;)

Always glad to be spot on.

Well, if ImodiumAD is the subject maybe not real glad.

Spot? What spot?

It doesn't say, 'Consider the source,' for nothing. ;)

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
canyncarvr said:
Did you mean: imodium ??

I did. Once again your technical advice is spot-on :)

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Always count on RV for great advice:) Thanks Gary, but the green machine goes better with the pink stuff....
THIS message has been approved by the folks that make the pink stuff.

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Your bike is new enough this probably isnt the case, but here is something to keep in mind. My 88 was parked for about 3 1/2 years, new job, son was born etc. Before parking the bike I got it all ready for the long sit including cleaning and re oiling the air filter. When I got ready to ride it again I popped the air box lid off and the fiter looked good, nice and clean, nobody living in the air box. I took the bike out for a ride and opened it up and smelled the worst smell you can imagine. I stopped and this weird yellow smoke was coming out of the exhaust. Long story short, the air filter had rotted during storage, when I nailed the throttle the engine ingested almost 1/3 of the foam from the filter.

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
dsndblm said:
When I got ready to ride it again I popped the air box lid off and the fiter looked good, nice and clean, nobody living in the air box.

Why is it that little creatures love to live in airboxes? Honestly, these must be the 'slums' for a feild mouse or squirrel... crampy, smelly, dirty in a bad neighborhood and your house gets 'cleaned up' (read- mowed down) whenever some higher power decides they 'need the space'... lol

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I am old and slow so my KDX tends to accumulate a little spooze from time to time as I put it around. Yes, I am still working on jetting. But when you run it hard for a little while on the occasional wide open trails the whole exaust will get hot and "cook" out some of the accumulation of whatever. Using synthetic oils makes the smell often unusual and perhaps like the bike or rider has been using Immobilum! Cheers John

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…