Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Enlightened ones:

I've got an '04 220 that I put a FMF torque pipe on (stock silencer) , and took off the airbox lid and rejetted the carb. I'm an old guy and don't care much about ripping top speed anymore, I ride at high altitude (8-12K feet) and like the tight technical trails with lots of up and down and big rocks and stuff. My riding is probably 90% in 3rd gear or below. I don't think my bike has the grunt type power to loft the front wheel reliably over big rocks and stuff, so I'm looking to modify it a bit more (I know, it's not a 400). My question is, has anyone ridden a 220 that has been ported by Fredette, and one that Eric Gorr has done? I'd like to know what the impressions are from folks that have felt the power differences between these guy's methods. I also plan to have the carb modded by RB-Designs. Is there any feeling on whether there is a real advantage in going with more expensive reeds than the affordable Boyesen 607's?

Thanks for any input,
Mike.

Hellbender

Oct 18, 2004
I'm a slow, technical rider, too. A 12 tooth front sprocket with a 51 tooth rear and the biggest, stickiest tire you can stuff in will make a world of difference on the wheel lofting. Probably more than any performance mod you can make.

The larger rear tire also acts like a heavier flywheel to keep things rolling.

HB

kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
I have a 220 mod'd by Freddette with the carb bored and the Gnarly "desert" pipe with the air box lid removed and have no problems at all lofting the front wheel. It runs great, at the last hare scramble I was in I ran down a CRF250 with no problem in a straight section only get get waxed in the tight section. Oh well, the bike as the nuts now the owner...

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
JMHO but porting isn't really nessesary. The 607 reeds will make the throttlle response crisper a tad and take the rear sprocket up 2-3 teeth. It will cost you less than a nundred bucks to try that first, you won't have to take the motor apart and it might just be the ticket. You could also try a exhaust spacer to give a little more bottom but you will lose some top end with it. The smapper front sprocket will be harder on the chain and 12 T is really small, I think 13/50 would really help you out but you might need a longer chain.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
IMO you are never going to get what you want from a 200 two stroke at the elevations you are talking. From my experience, it just will not happen. You need at least a 300 two stroke perhaps with gears and a flywheel. Gasp--I should never admit it, but a 4 stroke might be the best ticket. Cheers John

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Thanks for the ideas

I appreciate the responses. I'll definitely give the gearing a try. I noticed a pretty good improvement when I put the torque pipe on it. The tire will need to get replaced pretty soon. I'm sure some kind of oxygen injection would help :laugh: .

Thanks again,
Mike.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
Couple things that no one seemed to mention is:

1) RB Carb mods which give better low throttle response, and
2) Taking some height out of the head for greater compression. If you are at 8-12K so you can use much more than the KDX has. Many people mill the head even at sea level with good results. The KDX has some room for adjustment without having to go away from pump fuel.

Edit: BTW both are pretty cheap mods in comparison to exhaust, etc.

My $0.02

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom