A few questions from a new member

jbrim

Feb 25, 2004
I just purchased a 01 KDX 220 and I have a few questions. First Where do I need to set the rear spring (sag) I I don't know anything about sag or set the spring. I weight about 175 and I'm 5' 10". second where can I get a manual that has all the spec,torq info and general maintance info. Last what kind of tires dot I need I ride in the tight woods the most. Thanks for the info.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
(1)Rear sag. This takes a couple people:

(1) Put the bike on a stand that'll let you fully extend the rear swingarm. Measure from the axle vertically to a point on the frame. You'll use that spot again for the other measurements so you may want to mark it. This is distance L1.
(2) Take the bike off of the stand, get on the bike in your riding gear, stand on the pegs and hold onto something and then balance you and the bike. I used one of the garage door tracks. Have your helper push down on the rear and then he/she will let it rise very slowly. When it stops, measure from same point on the axle to the mark on the frame. Don't bounce on the bike. This is length L2.
(3) Now the opposite measurement. With you still on the bike and you and the bike balancing, have the person lift up on the rear and let it drop very slowly. Again, don't bounce on it. When it stops, measure from axle to the point on the frame. This is length L3. The last two measurements will be an average to take into account linkage drag.

SAG=L1 - (L2 + L3)/2. Recommended sag is 95-100mm but it's really a comfort thing. Too much sag, tighten the preload collar and too little sag, loosen it. Keep measuring until you get a value in that range and then ride to see if you like the feel. Adjust from there to your preference. A lot of people set theirs to the high side. Directions paraphrased from Race Tech's shock install sheet and what I did.

(2) Kawasaki shop manual and the KDX220 supplement.

(3) I've still got the stockers but that's because I'm cheap and won't throw them away until they're used up. I've got friends that like the Michellins and the Maxxis tires. Do a search here on the site.

Best,
Greg

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom