Kyleb15

Oct 8, 2004
Guys I have a 2000 yz 125 that i am about to put new fork oil and springs on. I took apart the forks to find dirty oil and that the fork oil was filled way too high. one of the forks was filled about 56mm from the top of the outer fork tube, with standard being 135mm from the top of the outer fork tube. The other fork was filled so high I could not lower the outer fork tube without the oil coming over the top of the tube. Mx-tech's generator recommends one rate lower in the front and two sizes in the rear.

1. Since the forks were filled so high can I get away with putting the standard amount of oil in and 10 or 7oz wieght oil, without going to a lower spring rate?

The fork aren't too bad for stiffness, the shock is what is really stiff.

Stock fork .4 Rec. .3837
Stock spring 4.6 Rec. 4.3

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I would not recomend straying from the factory recomended fork oil weight, especially not if the forks are allready on the stiff side. The factory oil is 5wt, only use 5wt fork oil or the Kayaba "01" oil (which is about 5wt). Look up the oil level spec in the manual, it will give a range, lower oil levels will make your fork feel softer as it will not build up as much air pressure when it is compressed due to the greater air volume. Be sure to set the sag on the shock and play with the clickers to help with the stiffness.

good luck

Top Bottom