Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Just sold my CR, and a KDX will be my next bike, and was wondering if there are any airbox snorkels, etc.. that could be removed to help it breathe and run better? Thanks :)

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Could I do this without re-jetting it? Does this make the bike any louder? How much noticable performance boost is there? I've also heard that the stock pipe is pretty restricting,too. Is this true?

Last edited:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
yup get rid of the lid and stock exhaust jmo.gotta rejet stock jetting is off anyhow.nice gain compared to bein all stuffed up.a little louder, with the helmet on it doesn't bother me lol

mntnmissle

Apr 29, 2002
Stan,
I just got an'02 KDX220 2 weeks ago, I love it. My last bike was an XR650R. I have found a wealth of info on this site. Follow this link to tech tips http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ you will find everything you need to know about the KDX. I can tell you this everything in the tech section has worked for me. This bike has been around long enough that these guys know exactly what to do with them.
1. The airbox lid has to go, frisbee.
2. You will have to mount little electrical box somewhere else. (Damn it I can't think of the proper term for this part!)
3. Yes, you will be rejetting it.
4. Noise? From removing the airbox lid, minimal.
Hope this helps.

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
YES

You will have to re-jet. The bikes come from the factory very rich anyhow and you would need to rejet it even if you left the lid on, as far a the pipe goes, Yes the factory pipe is double walled and VERY restrictive and a new pipe is probably the biggest BANG for your buck as far as a performance mod goes. You basically have 3 good pipes to choose from them being FMF REV, FMF GNARLY, or Pro Circuit. All three are good pipes but all three do different things to the bike. I went with the Pro Circuit only because is creates power gains across the entire powerband from top to bottom.

Good Luck, Obie #8 ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom