A Fond Farewell to My DRZ - Blame the KDX

ABS13

Apr 15, 2004
After riding my "new" '02 220 for about six months, I found that my DRZ400 was essentially mothballed. Too good a bike for that fate (and I need to buy a trailer), so I sold the DRZ this week to a rider who wants to dual sport it and ride some out West where it will really shine for him. Meanwhile, back here in the woody, hilly East I remain amazed at the capability of the 220. I've run into a number of people who look at it and say "I used to have one of those - best bike I ever owned". I agree. :)

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
ABS13,

Hows about a little "ride report"/comparison between the two for me? I've thought that maybe a DRZ is in my (far) future, as I like the idea of thumper power down low. I kinda like to torque around & over obstacles and such - but I don't think I'd like the extra weight!

Rephrased - So you like the KDX better in the tight technical stuff??

Jeff

meistro60

Dec 8, 2003
I have a 00 kdx200, my buddy who has a 02 DRZ400 switched bikes during are ride a few months ago. We rode steep, technical terrain, single track stuff, lots of rocks, roots, dense forest riding, 1st & 2nd gear primarily. Jones Creek ohv area in the hills above Camas washington to be exact. Its nearby and usually not a lot of other riders, but it beats the living crap out of you. My impressions are the DRZ is heavy, the power is tractor like, poorly sprung in the rear, it wanted to buck me off and had trouble lofting the front wheel over obstacles. In general it wasnt near as fun as my KDX.
My friend was totaly in love with the KDX. He was head over heels in fun. He commented that the bike was light, fast, handled great. He is trying to sell his DRZ.
We were up there with another friend just last week who bought an 04 CR250...uh let me tell you, you can ride it in the woods but....its not really meant for the steep and deep stuff. The DRZ and the KDX worked great in those conditions compared to the CR...but the CR will stomp in a more wide open area such as central oregon riding areas.

ABS13

Apr 15, 2004
farmerj said:
ABS13,

Hows about a little "ride report"/comparison between the two for me? I've thought that maybe a DRZ is in my (far) future, as I like the idea of thumper power down low. I kinda like to torque around & over obstacles and such - but I don't think I'd like the extra weight!

Rephrased - So you like the KDX better in the tight technical stuff??

Jeff

Jeff, your rephrase is definitely correct. The DRZ is a very capable machine, but "horses for courses" as they say and the KDX is better for me in the tight technical stuff I usually ride. I found the DRZ to have all the torque you'd ever want and it feels lighter than it's true weight in more open terrain. It is also very responsive to sprocket gearing changes (i.e. a really versatile engine making it an ideal dual-sport or supermoto). Out in the open, I found the DRZ to be a great ride. However, in tight, technical stuff, you do feel the weight and perhaps more importantly, the higher balance point. Where I ride, the "flickability" of the KDX makes it a superior bike for me and, while not a 4-stroke down low, it really holds its own in the torque department. I actually put the rev pipe, not the torque pipe on my 220 to get some more room on top.

Now nothing against thumpers - I've watched Scott Summers :worship: blast his CRF450F through the same trails I ride, but for an average mortal rider like me, the KDX is simply easier to ride and more fun. And, something a lot of new thumper owners are finding out, a heck of a lot easier to work on (can you say DOHC 4-valve with a pumper carb?). But then that discussion deserves a thread of its own!

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Thanks, ABS13

For the record - I'm happy with my KDX. It's always interesting to talk and "think" bikes when I can't be out riding them!

Jeff

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
A short story for you guys about a little KDX200 and a fat DRZ400. A mate owns a property and a 2004 DRZ400. He has a little track on his property with a few t/tops, berms, whoops and doubles. One particular double (2 x 4 foot high mounds of dirt, 12 foot apart) hadnt been jumped nor had the face been properly cut for jumping. To cut a long story short, I was dared to jump it by the owner. I double dared him to do it and he said "if you jump it I will". So I had about 10 run ups to it but didn't feel I had enough speed to jump it so I found a better approach. I got JUST enough speed and traction to jump it. I said "C'mon now it's your turn". Disaster !!! :yikes: 3 broken ribs, neckbrace for 1 week, aluminium subframe, indicators, headlight, bars, levers, fenders etc later. Ill give him a 9 out of 10 for effort. Needless to say I havent been invited back since.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I know. I still feel sorry for him.
Since it was his jumps and his house and his 10-15 mates watching I dont think he wanted to be out-done by a new comer on a green machine LOL. Not only was he out-done but he came un-done... Im lucky it wasnt me really. Moral of the story "If you ride over your head, Be prepared to end up on it sooner or later".

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
the story reminded me of a jumping contest we had in the woods on our mountain bikes a few years ago....ended up with a guy with a shattered check bone...............it's all fun and games till someone gets hurt my mom use to say..

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
How true... LOL. Or as my mum would say its all fun till someone loses an eye. Speaking of injurys, One of my mates is nursing 15 stitches in his face ATM, Alcohol and trampolines dont mix. :rotfl:

spctrbytz

Oct 28, 2004
DRZ turned green this week

I, too, sold my DR-Z 400 after competing in a Grand Prix with tight, silty technical trails. My arms cramped for a couple days after that run! Funny, I got passed in the twisties and as soon as it opened up, I would blow by 5 or 6 guys. They weren't worried about it as they would pass me as soon as we got into the turns.

I hope I don't regret selling it. Today, I phoned a dealer a couple hours away and put a deposit on a bone stock '02 KDX200. We'll see if it holds up as well as the last one, an '86 I rode three hard enduro seasons without anything but premix, tires, and tubes.

Top Bottom