A kickstarting hint for the newbies

bnt55

Jun 28, 2002
I learned this little gem of information from trial and error: After popping the clutch or dumping a KDX give the bike full throttle while kickstarting, it will fire right up first time. This might seem obvious to some but it wasn't to me 6 hours ago, my right leg is still tired from all the kicking.

Bill

Brains

Mar 28, 2002
My two cents -
Don't use this as rule of thumb for starting.
Both my KDX's start with choke on and no throttle at all.
Give them throttle and they won't start
Every carb is different

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
I agree with Brains, My KDX starts best with no throttle at all in just about any situation. At most I have to lay my bike down sideways to fill the float bowl when it is COLD and has been sitting overnight and then it will start on first or second kick. Other than that it is a first maybe second kick bike ALL the time.

Obie #8 ;)

bnt55

Jun 28, 2002
My experience has been different with my KDX, after dropping it I cannot start it by just kicking it over (believe me I have been trying), I found out that it takes full throttle to fire it up, even with choke on it will not start. Like I stated from the original post this tidbit might help someone who either does not know better or who has been riding four strokes their whole lives and knows the peril of engine flooding.

L8er

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Ive got a few bikes but my old 85' KDX 200 starts up with 2 little pre kicks and then one nice big kick with choke on(when totally cold) and no throttle..... Starts everytime!!!

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
i think bnt55 is talking about starting the bike after it has been layed down. not cold. Of course he does also mention after popping the clutch and stalling the bike. In this case the bike should start right up. If you are having troubles starting the bike in this condition something seems a little out of whack. Maybe reeds are worn or air filter is really dirty?

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I feel that whether or not you use throttle when starting or how much throttle depends on your jetting.

If you are lean off idle then no throttle will probably work best and choke will be needed when cold.

If you are rich off idle then you may need to give it some throttle.

My bike starts three kicks cold and 1 kick hot with no throttle every time.

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
With that kickstarter, thank god our bikes start easily or we'd all be screwed. ;)

B.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah, I think the jist of the post was lost. When you are just cranking it to ride, no throttle is correct. When you've dumped your bike and gas has run out of every orifice on the bike :| ... You will likely have better results kicking it over with the throttle open.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…