canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
1. The pivotworks kdx ('H' model) swingarm set replaces the four 20-27-15 oem bearings (two each per side) with TWO 20-27-30 ..or so...bearings.

Anyone with a point of view on the advantage/disadvantage of a single replacing a double?

While the pivotworks bearings are indeed the same length overall, the oem bearings are installed with a space between them. Kinda' makes their 'effective length' quite a bit longer?

I put them in close to the outside edge of the swingarm. Probably should be on the INside edge?

2. Just got my LIFETIME WARRANTY rear wheel bearing set (with seals) from CBR. Can you imagine? A lifetime warranty on a dirt bike wheel bearing??

Neither can I. ;)

***edit*** This just in from CBR. They do have a 20-27-30 bearing (caged) that would work in the swingarm. $11.95. You would still need sleeves from kawi if you went that route.

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Are the one-per-side replacement swingarm bearings caged, also? Or is it an uncaged bearing with twice as many rollers as each of the Kawasaki 'double' bearings?

I think there are many bikes that use one big uncaged needle bearing per side of the swingarm, so if it works for a 250 MX bike, it should be OK on a KDX.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
They are caged (as the oem), so there isn't the advantage of more rollers.

More like 1/3 as many rollers. It's a big cage!

I didn't ask CBR about a 20-27-30 UNcaged bearing. I'd prefer that for sure.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by canyncarvr
2. Just got my LIFETIME WARRANTY rear wheel bearing set (with seals) from CBR. Can you imagine? A lifetime warranty on a dirt bike wheel bearing??

Given the amount of time my wheels spent in mud and under water, and the fact that I got two seasons of *HARD* use out of them, I was embarassed to ask CBR for replacements (but I did anyway). CBR does honor that lifetime warranty and they are not grouchy about it.

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
I serviced my swingarm last week & found half of the bearings damaged.
I couldnt wait for the 20-27-15 ( had to order ) so I got one 20-27-30 and installed it at 1/4 of the price. The one side of the swingarm is two short bearings ( stock ) and the other side is the long aftermarket one. I'll inform you guys in a years time.....If I'm still around

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
The only difference I can think of is the gap between the OEM's providing a sort of grease reservoir. Other than that, if the total surface area of bearings does not change, there can not be an advantage to a single bearing. If the single bearing increased surface area by filling the gap, there may be an advantage.

Installing them to the outside seems to make sense to me. It kind of gives the bearings a wider grip on the swingarm to hold it more rigidly (is "rigidly" a word?).

It seems like the best deal would be a single uncaged bearing going all the way across.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: Having a link for <whatever>

Of course, the logical 'yadayada.com' would be a good bet..and in this case works.

Also, if you do a google search for 'cbr bearings motorcycle' CBR comes up pretty much at the top of the page.

Take note of 'http://www.bearings-ez.com/bearings' which is a database of 444 bearing manufacturers. This is where I got information on different bushings available for the bottom shock mount on the kdx.

re: shorter bearings easier to install
The opposite is true. It's easier to install the longer bearing. Easier to line up, easier to handle.

re: Less rollers?
You're referring to 'caged' vs: 'uncaged'? OEM bearings are caged, so there are not 'less rollers' in either the pivotworks or (I suppose) the bearing available from CBR.

re: zerk
Yeah..I've considered before that the space between the oem swingarm bearings is a perfect spot to drill a hole for a grease fitting. Guess I won't be doing that now....;)

tom:
I didn't ask CBR if they had an uncaged bearing with the required measurements. That would seem preferable to me.

While the space between can hold grease, it's not likely to be useable as a reservoir. It's not going to migrate from the space to inside the roller bearing.

As far as 'inside' vs: 'outside', I wondered if the bearings being closer to the suspended part (mounted toward the inside of the swingarm) would be preferable for the exact same reason you mention. I can make an argument for it either way.....hence the question.

CBR needs to make a 'lifetime warranty' swingarm set available!

How about a 'lifetime warranty' dunlop 756?

Brake pads??

;)

Top Bottom