Brraaappp

Oct 22, 2004
Hello all,
Well I have been working on the suspension on my 2002 yz250f. I was trying to figure out why the back end would swap side to side over hard packed whoops. So in the process I set the sag and tried to adjust the rear as much as possible. To which I bought a lighter spring for it. I weigh 130lbs with gear and I am a b class rider. They say this bike is rated for a 180lbs rider. Well while waiting on the spring the front seemed way too soft. After watching the bike with other riders on it the bike seemed to dive a lot. Real bad when you would start to come out of a turn. I put a zip tie on the fork and the bike would tend to use all of the suspension and that was with out jumping. Just riding at a sand pit with a bunch of whoops. The result was a real hard feeling in the bars(bottoming). I have a fair understanding of how suspension works and I revalved the front end. I inspected the components and everything seemed fine. I saw that it had a 2 stage stack and I changed it to a single stage stack. The bike handled so much better after that. I had other problems like the bike had a lot of trouble doing a stoppy and breaking seemed sub par. After the revalve the bike would easily do a stoppy and breaking in to turns was soooo much better. Effortless!! Now that I have the new spring in the rear the front now seems harsh. It is real twitchy over the hard packed areas. The bike seems to want to turn abruptly. My question is where in the stack should I stiffen or weaken it. Or should I look at springs in the front. I have searched on the forum but, no one seems to talk about valving anymore. It is always send it off. This is a hobby to me and I like to learn and test. So any help would be great. I hope that was enough info and I explained it well enough. spin dirt on me if I missed something.

-B

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
It makes sense that the springs weight should match front/rear. A fast adjustment would be a lighter/thinner oil up front.

Another solution would be to put the old spring back on and get some beers & burgers into you. 130lbs with gear? maybe try to quit smoking. I gained 30lbs since last June when I quit.

Can I buy your old spring? Mine seems to be sagging with the extra burden I’ve put on it. :rotfl:

Top Bottom