Mar 1, 2008
i tore the top end down on my '90 kx 250 today and figured out its got a weisco piston. i was pushing the con rod up and down to check for any rough spots on the crank berrings, and i herd a sloshing sound, so i spun the crank over faster and all this nasty old gas came shooting out.

ok question 1, would chipped reeds cause all that gas to go into the case?

? 2, would all that gas turn the oil white? the head gasket and the base gasket looked fine to me

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Sometimes when you take it apart, a little coolant may get in the cases. Replace your float valve in your carb while you are at it. An engine with mechanical issues can have a build up of fuel in the cases. Bad reeds is one of many issues. Check all your crank tolerances. When you can do a complete rebuild for around 300 dollars in parts, what the heck? 1990, may have issues with that.

Mar 1, 2008
well i dont know where the water would be comming from then, all the gaskets looked to be holding and it diddnt look like the water jacket was cracked

AV8R

Jan 20, 2006
Water can get into your crank area by a leaking head gasket or a leaking base gasket.
At least those are the most likely. The complicated way for it to get there is by the water pump seal leaking water into the tranny and then the case halves leaking oil water mix into the crank area.

It is unlikely that there is a large quantity of fuel down in the crank unless you tipped the bike up on it's front end and the carb overflowed into the head via leaky reed valves.

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
Sounds like the carb float my need to be checked out. As far as white turning the oil white, I second the possibility of getting coolant in there when the cylinder was removed.

Top Bottom