Ok ?s about blueing colour around crank

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
I just got around to doing the top end of my bike. The old piston looks new, as do the jug and the rings. But I look down to where the crank goes the connecting rod and the crank is blue(like heated up blue on the shaft), The rod looks good(like new) , no heat blueing or any thing, I bought the bike used from the third owner and no way of contacting the previous owners about what they did or did not do. They may have fixed the bottom end at one point, it feels like new , no ruff spots , no side play, nice and smooth all the way around. Could this blue be normal or left over from a previous repair. The only reason I am doing the top end is I have since january logged almost 50 hours on the bike, and felt since I did not know if the top was done I should do just to be safe.
Any ideas about the heated look on my crank would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lok

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
Thats a good question... It may of been from a previous problem... When you say no side play... It is supposed to move side to side, It is up and down play that you dont want.

If it feels perfect, and looks it, i would put it back together and just make sure you are using a good premix mixed at a reasonable leval... no leaner than 40:1

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The bluing is normal coloring from the original manufacturing process.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
SirHilton17 said:
ohh... I have never seen a bike with that...

Maybe you should get out more. ;)

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Thanks , like I said every thing looks good , side play is at the factory spec and there is no up and down movement. Just looked odd and had to ask if maybe i was unaware of anouther problem.
Like I said Thank you for the input, I will sleep better knowing that this is not abby normal.
Lok

*KISSofDEATH*

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 1, 2006
the same thing has happend to my previous bike and no one knew what it was. i had the bike a couple of years after that but nothing happend. should be fine.

RMASS

Apr 9, 2006
Rich is dead on with this one ( this happens on a regular basis while building the crank be it from factory or local shop )

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Ok , I finnshed the top end today and reassembled every thing, the jug was in such good shape after hitting it with a scotch bright pad it was ready to go. All the measurements were still at factory specs, Like there was no wear, I must be lucky. I lean the bike over till I get a little flow, kick it(first kick it started) and purr, it runs. I broke it in for 10 minutes, at varied throttle under half, around my yard. Let it cool repeat for 20 minutes(again first kick it started). Tommorow I will do the half hour break in and I should be good to go.
Thanks for all the advice here and in other threads on this site.
Lok

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
SirHilton17 said:
Thats a good question... It may of been from a previous problem... When you say no side play... It is supposed to move side to side, It is up and down play that you dont want.

If it feels perfect, and looks it, i would put it back together and just make sure you are using a good premix mixed at a reasonable leval... no leaner than 40:1

Thanks for the info about the side play, I thought that it is OK, I knew it was the up down that was bad! I was about to start a new thread to, thanks search! :)

Top Bottom