Acerbis Hand Guard Install Questions

crwiseman

Jan 22, 2008
Questions about Acerbis Hand Guard Installation: I got a set used with a used bike I recently bought. No instructions came with them. So obviously I cut round holes in the grips and bolted them to the bars, two points per side. The problem: the allen bolts tighten in the bar ends expanding the two slash-cut expansion ends against each other but they spin inside the bars and never really tighten or lock into the bar ends? Are they supposed to be able to be pulled out by hand or is there some problem and they are supposed to be tight and locked in place? They just spin when I tighten them and the bolt gets hot from the friction. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Could it be that they came off a bike with aluminum bars and your bike has steel? There are different expansion dealios to accommodate different internal diameters.

crwiseman

Jan 22, 2008
Well, that makes a lot of sense. Mine are steel so they probably have a larger ID. Would local parts dealers carry just the larger expansion dealios or?

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Can you slip a piece of rubber hose over the angled expansion nuts? This will let the expansion nuts dig in and the rubber won't slip inside the handlebars.

crwiseman

Jan 22, 2008
Yes, I suppose I could do that. Strange thing is they came two complete sets of the expansion dealios. They seem identical except for the style of the flange that meets the bar end. The OD of the expansion sleeves seems the same.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The Acrebis hand guards that I installed recently had a oval ridge on the top of the insert that engaged the slot in the handguard to keep the insert from spinning. Does yours not have that?

A trick that you could try is to snug the insert down a bit before you push it into the bar You will have to have the inner mount undone so you can be holding the handguard with the insert mounted on it. Hold the end of the insert and tighten the screw a bit. Get it so that it is a tight fit inserting into the bars, perhaps using a few light taps with a hammer to slide it in. Now you should have enough friction betweent the insert end and the bars so you can tighten it.

Rod

crwiseman

Jan 22, 2008
Went to the shop this morning and they sold just the pieces to expand inside a steel handlebar, question answered, thanks to all.

Top Bottom