GS_Guy

Nov 13, 2006
Hello all,
I'm an avid street rider, looking to add something more dirt-oriented than my BMW GS to the fleet. I recently got a TTR 90 for my son (his first bike) and don't expect to be able to keep up with him offroad on the pig for long. I'm leaning towards a smaller dualsport, so I can buy a set of 17" wheels for street misbehavior. I could be talked into a non-dual sport machine if I'm giving up too much trail ability going that route.

1) your physical size 5'10, 180
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? pretty aggressive on the street, big weenie in the dirt but I hope to change that
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ? Mostly trail riding
4) Do you have any riding experience? about 25 years, been a long time since I rode a dirtbike though
5) Do you think you will race ? No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I'm a reasonably competent mechanic, do all of my own maintenance on the current fleet
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? More of a 4 stroke guy, but I'm flexible
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? I can get anything within 10 miles
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? As much as I have to
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion? See above

apb

Feb 1, 2005
By "a smaller dualsport," I'm not sure what displacement size you're leaning towards, but you should consider the '06 and up husky TE line (250, 450, or 510cc), which are all 50 state street legal out of the box, or the new '07 ktm 450 or 525 exc-g models, which are also street legal and ready to go. Another solid option is the suzuki drz400s model, which is super dependable, a bit heavier and softer sprung, but cheaper and can be modified for more performance pretty easily. If you're riding tight trails though, and don't need great highway speed, the 250 size bike will be the least tiring of the bunch to go trailriding with, and would probably be the best for getting back into dirt riding for the fun factor.. Good luck with it.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Since apb mentioned the Husky's and you live in Seattle, you should check out Tasky's Metric Cycle in Everett, WA. They even have a demo day (not sure when) where you can ride a bunch of different Huskies. I have an '07 TE 450. My first modern 4 stroke. Its also the first 'dirt bike' I've been able to legitimately plate. The TE 250 would fit the bill for a smaller dual sport. Its not going to be real comfortable on the road with the stock gearing though. Having ridden in several different states this past year, I can say having a plated bike solves alot of problems and opens up a lot more riding areas. These bikes are designed for long lasting use with easy maintenance. Absolutely the easiest bike I've ever seen to maintain. 20 minute valve check. Lots of the same components as KTM, hydraulic clutch, e start, brembo brakes, blah blah blah. They are a tad heavier but I believe thats cause they are somewhat overbuilt. Little example would be they hold about a 1/2 quart more oil than most other manufacturers. That can't be bad. Anyway, check at Tasky's if your'e even slightly considering a real dirt bike that is dual sported. Obviously the new KTM exc 450,525 would have to be considered if you were looking at that size motor. Biggest difference in the KTM and Husky motors is long stroke KTM and short stroke Husky. Short stroke revs quicker, less gyro effect when turning, Long stroke is slower revving but more torque. KTM has wide ratio 6 speed gearing while the Husky has a close ratio 6 speed. I have 30 years offroad and can't believe the power the 450 has. But a lot of guys with that TE 250 say it rips too. So if its a 250 4t, I say husky, if larger bore, you have more choices. Either way, if your in the buying market, thats a good place to be. :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom