IronRange

Oct 28, 2007
I have been looking through the aftermarket stuff for a lighting coil for my 2003 250 SX (2-stroke). I can't find anything out there. Can I just bolt on the coil from a EXC?

Thanks!

Nov 2, 2007
lights

IronRange said:
I have been looking through the aftermarket stuff for a lighting coil for my 2003 250 SX (2-stroke). I can't find anything out there. Can I just bolt on the coil from a EXC?

Thanks!
You would have to change out both the stator and flywheel to do the EXC swap. Don't forget you will need a voltage regulator as well, should you decide to do a hard parts exchange.

Check this out...
LED Lighting System
Adapts to almost any bike with a CDI ignition, except CR 250 02-07. Plugs in to your CDI, so no lighting coil is needed. The LED bulbs must be adapted to fit into what ever head light or tail light you are using (works good with Acerbis CE headlight). Puts out only enough light for enduro tech inspection, for looking simi steet legal, and is barely better than nothing for night riding.

Contact Steahly Offroad at 800-800-2363

Good Luck.
Rod

IronRange

Oct 28, 2007
Thanks Rod. I have been seaching for info on this and just came across some KTM diagrams online and saw there are 3 different ignition/stator/flywheel combinations listed for 2003 KTM 250's they were labeled K1, K2 and K3. The K1 and K2 look the same with the exception of addional windings on the stator of the K2. The K3 had a different flywheel and everything. I assume the K1 is for the SX. Maybe the K2 is from the XC and the K3 from the EXC. I wonder if I use the K2 can I just add the different stator and run lights?

Last edited:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
K2 is for 200/250's and the K3 is for 300's. If you want to actually use the lights use the 300 stator and get it rewound. The stator off of the 250 is weak and the light damn near shuts off at low rpm's whereas a rewound stator w/ a DC mod/conversion and battery will give you many more lighting options and a light that works all the time

IronRange

Oct 28, 2007
I am looking to use the lighting to ride trails and fire roads at night. I don't need baja 1000 style lighting, just so I can see corners before they go by. Can I swap my stator for a K2 without any modifications? I think I could live with the light dimming at low rpms. If I wanted to use a rewound K3, which sounds like it would be brighter and more fun, it sounds like I have to replace my flywheel and add the voltage regulator. What difference does the dc conversion make and what equipment does it allow you to run that you couldn't with the stock K3 stator? The battery would be cool but I don't think I could find a safe place to fit it. Thank you guys for your help. I am a moto guy just getting into the enduro/cross country stuff.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
The K2 on my 05 250EXC was downright dangerous at night. You are only going to get 35W max at rpm if I remember right. Unless you want to keep the thing singing in the middle of a dark trail, the K2 is horrible. My buddies 05 200 is the same way...if you are going to the trouble to add lights, do it right the first time. You can find the parts on KTMTalk pretty easily as guys part bikes all the time. A DC mod is simple, pretty cheap and allows you to have a working battery.

Trust me...that K2 w/ the 05-06 style headlight especially is not going to help you see much on a fireroad. Literally there were times we shut ours off if the moon was full as we could see better

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
The battery fits in your airbox w/ the KTM battery holder

IronRange

Oct 28, 2007
Thanks for that info. Your right, if the lighting is that poor with the K2 its worth the extra effort to add the K3 instead. Thanks for saving me the extra work and money of trying the K2 first and the info on were to get parts! :)

Top Bottom