advantages of adding a tooth to the rear sprocket?

Honda26

Mar 17, 2002
What are some advantages of adding one tooth on the rear of a 125cc 2 stroke? any disadvantages? I am contemplating sunstars 52 tooth rear because i can get it at a great price..
thanks for any info.. and reviews on 52 toothers and/or sunstar sprockets would be appreciated .

thanks

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I can't vouch for the quality of the Sunstar, but if it is laser cut like Renthal or whatever you should be good. Don't get the steel sprocket though, way too heavy. I had an 02 CR125 and it needed a 52 tooth in the rear to pull through 3rd gear. It would fall flat on it's face w/o it. I know the 03 is supposed to be a bit better motor, but I would go w/ 1 up on the rear, no more. You will go through 1st and 2nd gear quicker, but 3rd will pull better, that's where you wanna be on that bike, 3rd gear and fourth on the long straights. Also, install a V-Force on that bad boy, it will help pwr everywhere. I have heard real good things about FMF's new "Factory Fatty" pipe w/ the shorty silencer, it is supposed to be the $hits. Good luck and post back how you make out-

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Don't worry about the extra "weight" of a steel rear sprocket. Unless you are winning every race you ride in you wont even notice it. As an added bonus, it will last longer.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I went the steel sprocket route and it ran fine on my rm. It wore great and i never noticed the extra weight. Going up 1 tooth made a huge difference that you can feel exiting corners and pulling hills! :thumb:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Honda26, the 03 cr125 is now speced from the factory with a 52t rear sprocket.

Honda26

Mar 17, 2002
Thats not what hondas site says...
I checked it out... its a 51T rear and a 13 T front.

i went ahead and got the 52 toother but 16 inches of rain in one month; i cant ride at all .. so it gets to sit in the package untill the sun comes out..
thanks for all the info guys.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
True that is what the website says that it has a 51 tooth rear. But like I said the bike comes with a 52t and Honda also includes a jet kit to update the jetting spec. The updated jet kit is a new needle, main jet and pilot jet. You'll see ;)

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Marcus if ya really want to know about the 03cr i can tell you. I'll be right back i need to see if it's still in the garage,he he he. ;) :yeehaw:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Steve tell me you havnt got a Cr again:)i have some important 03KX125 info for you-will email it tomorrow.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…