advice needed on tank shape

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Long story short - I'm building an aircooled KDX hybrid in a KX125 chassis. After years of sporadic tinkering I'm getting to the closing stages - the most time consuming of which is designing an ally tank. This is my card mock up sitting roughly on the frame. The areas to be trimmed have been blacked out with marker.

Before I get it cut, folded and tigged I wanted to make sure that the design won't have an adverse affect on handling. Under braking will it transfer too much fuel weight up front? Looking recently at aircooled tanks of the early 80's, they seem to sweep up at the front, probably to avoid that issue. I'm trying to follow the aesthetic of the aircooled KDX tank and am happy with the shape, just don't want to create a slower turning bike. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• KDX tank shaping 2_2.jpg
    KDX tank shaping 2_2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 151

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I wouldn't worry about it. A few pounds of fuel moving 10" forward under heavy braking won't hurt a thing. I doubt you'll even notice it.
Why not just buy a big capacity KDX tank and use it?? Sounds like you are mechanically inclined enough to make it work. :cool:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
top shorter, front longer to cover hole in frame, inside front V shaped inward to direct air towards head................aestheticly and dude...................just ride.... only you can turn, the bike does what you tell it... "years of sporadic tinkering" is time lost in riding experience

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Thanks, that's what I was hoping. The KDX C tank is pretty bulbous up front as well. I tried to fit that tank, but because of the extra lock of the aftermarket triples and the location of the later year subframe/seat, it wouldn't fit. :( At least the ally tank can sit lower on the non exhaust side and take advantage of the extra space.

Hoffies

Feb 26, 2007
Could you not make it taper inwards towards stem, to close hole in frame and so also not interfere with triples? Looks slightly flat on the front side? Please take it as positive criticism, your work looks really great just remember looks are important too! Keep going you`re almost there.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
i doubt that the affect of the fuel sloshing will have any real affect on the handling of the bike. BUT if you wanted an easier way to overcome this problem (other than designing the tank to prevent slosh..) you could always use that intank fuel foam, made by G-Zero (i think..). the foam fits inside the tank and stops the fuel moving around, it only takes up a very small amount of the tanks capacity.
my 2 cents.

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Hoffies said:
Could you not make it taper inwards towards stem, to close hole in frame and so also not interfere with triples? Looks slightly flat on the front side? Please take it as positive criticism, your work looks really great just remember looks are important too! Keep going you`re almost there.

Hey don't worry about criticism, I appreciate everyone's advice on this. Want to get it looking/working good before committing to cutting it out. The front section hasn't been designed yet. It's going to taper in to the headstock. It has to come in from the outer edges at right angles to clear the triples then taper out enough to cover the frame holes. At the front the tunnel will have extensions with mounting holes that will come a bit forward.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom