arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
air cooled hybrid pics

Finally making some inroads in to this long term garage squatter. After 3 years, the various ebay aquisitions are are starting to resemble the form of a motorcycle. The original plan was to build a low-tech, modern spec woods machine that I could run into trees without ripping off hoses and cooking it. Good suspension and brakes would be a bonus.

So this is it so far - 86 KX frame ad swing arm, 87 KDX motor, 87 KX shock, 98 RM forks and front wheel. Everything's rebuilt to new, apart from the frame which is still evolving to take the updated parts.

So far its had re-welded lower engine mounts, fabricated front mounts, next will be cylinder head mounts and subframe mounts (89 KX125 subframe and airbox waiting patiently to join in the fun).

Exhaust and tail pipe are on the way from US. This will let me get this old motor running in the chassis (it's been sitting under the bench for 2 years, getting turned over occasionally)

The biggest bucks (I'm sure) will be getting a low-boy alloy tank made up. I'll post more pics as it progresses.

Last edited:

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
tommrth said:
im watching this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=157846168
aircooled hybrid looks like it been lying around cracked clutch cover but all there these frames look quite similar to the kdx

It looks like an 86 rolling chassis with the 86-88 motor. Hard to tell from the crap pics. One thing's for sure - you'll be shelling out a lot of coin to restore it. This is a nut and bolt rebuild. Looks like its lived outside for the last 25 years - it's rusted solid. But for that sort of money it would be worth it just for gearbox spares. The way the auction's going you could get the whole bike for less than the price of a new rear axle (which you would need)

The frame is similar to an aircooled KDX (single down tube), but has the more modern detachable ally subframe, current style linkage and rear disc set-up. It should also be a fair bit lighter than a stock KDX.

If you want any advice on restoring or upgrading it, just pm me. I'm thinking of setting up a degree course in KX/KDX parts compatibility 1985 to current day.

tommrth

Apr 22, 2008
thanks
i did i quick search of frame num and came up with 86-87 trying to get some picks of the other side where the radiator should be

what the reason for the 89 subframe on your bike?

ive got a local bike mag from the mid 90s some where with one of these hybrids for sale in it custom subframe weight apparently 96kg

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
tommrth said:
thanks
i did i quick search of frame num and came up with 86-87 trying to get some picks of the other side where the radiator should be

what the reason for the 89 subframe on your bike?

ive got a local bike mag from the mid 90s some where with one of these hybrids for sale in it custom subframe weight apparently 96kg

I went for the later 89 KX125/250/500 subframe because it opens up more options on aftermarket side panels and seat - it's basically standard KX500 stuff from 88 to 06 (this also opens up availability of seat foams and covers). 89-94 KDX side panels also fit. After 89 only the 500 kept the high level exhaust style subframe (so there are still a few around)

Any chance I could get a copy of the magazine article? Could you scan it? What part of the Waitaks are you in?

Also noticed that the KDX on Trademe has a Pre 86 non power valve motor.

Last edited:

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Thanks Tom - I guess he's related to Tjebbe Bruin. Tjebbe machined my triple clamp stems on this project (did a lovely job). I'm in Titirangi myself, down from Toby's. pm me your email and I'll give you a shout when I finally fire the machine up. You'll probably hear it from your place.

Did you bid on the bike?

tommrth

Apr 22, 2008
didnt end up biding on it
apparently had cracked the engine cases as well :-(
ended up going for just over 300 which was a bit more than i was prepeared to pay for it
funny thing was that one of the bidders has my initials and is also in the waitaks

MX500

Jun 15, 2008
Did you have those triple clapms custom machined? How did you get the RM forks to fit?

Is the KX125 subframe a direct fit or does it require some fabrication?

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
Arjay-- Bike is looking good. My CR200 hybrid is basically done, just havent done the finishing touches on it yet. I still have the 86 kx125 that I was thinking of putting an aircooled 200 motor in just like your doing. Lots of work though and I think I am burned out from working on the CR so much. whats your email and I will send you some pics of my hybrid

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
MX500 said:
Did you have those triple clapms custom machined? How did you get the RM forks to fit?

Is the KX125 subframe a direct fit or does it require some fabrication?

Hi - sorry for delay - I've been away for a bit.

The clamps are Applied Racing (Ebay) and for the 96-98 RM forks. I had a new stem machined from 7075 ally and pressed in. It follows the profile of the KX stem where it goes through the headstock. The clamps have 5mm less offset than the original KX ones, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the handling.

The 89 subframe is not a direct fit onto the 86 KX frame. It involves making up a top mount on the frame, and a new lower frame mount on one side.

I'll post pics next week of the completed work.

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Dan105 said:
Arjay-- Bike is looking good. My CR200 hybrid is basically done, just havent done the finishing touches on it yet. I still have the 86 kx125 that I was thinking of putting an aircooled 200 motor in just like your doing. Lots of work though and I think I am burned out from working on the CR so much. whats your email and I will send you some pics of my hybrid

ha ha they do burn up a bit of energy hey. I'd love to see some pics - I'll pm you my email.

Top Bottom