GreenMeanie2

Jul 24, 2002
Presures from a wife and new child, and loosing my best mate in a fatal bike accident are forcing me off the roads therefore, I am looking to make a transition from a race tuned and fettled Honda Fireblade back to a Motox bike. I don't think money is going to be an issue (within reason) but I need advise as to the best machines out there at the moment. I haven't ridden off road for some fifteen years but I need something that I won't find lacking in the power department once I re-find my feet.

Totally different subject but my little brother has a 1991 KTM 80cc minus the engine. A replacement is turning out to be like rocking horse dung. Does any one out there know if one of the Japanese 80cc engines will fit and if so how much welding and beating will be needed.

I really appreciate any light anyone can shed on either of the above subjects.

GreenMeanie. :think:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
For your application, if you are going strictly motocross. Any 1996 and newer bike (I say '96 because that is what I have ;)) from any of the manufacturers will be fine. Really, all of them make a quality product these days.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by GreenMeanie2
Does any one out there know if one of the Japanese 80cc engines will fit and if so how much welding and beating will be needed?

Well, I cant say for sure. But I'd guess the answer would be "NO" to the first part and "so much that it wouldn't be worth your time and effort" to the second.

Aren't KTM's right side drive and Jap bikes left side drive??? There's your first hurdle right there. You'd probably be better off parting out an engineless bike and buying something all in one piece.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Aren't KTM's right side drive and Jap bikes left side drive

I drive my KTM from the Center :)

If you have the money I suggest a 01 and newer 4 stoke. YZ426, CRF 450, or the KTM 450SX.

Good luck

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
smith means a "2 Stroke". ;)

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
My bad :)

I also meant Suzuki;)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
just stick a knobby on the back of the fireblade, jack it up a bit, put some ape hangers on and you should be good to go!:)

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
YZ250-f

flyfishdoc

Apr 29, 2002
well what do you want? 2 strokes or 4? What are you gonna use the bike for? Trail riding? (if so, tight trails or wider trails?) or MX? or Both?. How much do you weigh? How much do you want to have to work on the bike? Give us a little info, please.
Andrew

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom