First bike, newbie, need help gettin it started

Leester145

Nov 16, 2005
1973 suzuki 250 enduro bike. its also a 2 stroke.

I got this bike for FREE... yes... FREE

This bike only has 3k miles and only been sitting in a shed the whole time. last year the previous owner of the bike had this bike running and replaced the carb with a new one. then it went back in the shed again. I had it started twice, but i didnt realize the carb was stuck wide open throttle. I fixed that after I had it started.

After I got the bike started, it doesnt want to start again. heres the stuff Ive done to this so far.

Cleaned out the carb,
replaced spark plug with new one at checker. (gets sparks every kick start)
replaced fuel lines
drained old gas and old oil and put fresh in.
tried unflooding the engine.
cleaned out air filter.
put in fresh motor oil. (leaks oil may need new gasket) cant find one either!! need help suggestions ideas whatever!
tinkered with the idle settings a lil bit too.
turned the jet screw all the way to the right then turned it back left to 1 and a half turn.
uhm.. anything I missed?

another note. I ordered a manual for this bike as well. wont get it till next week.

it just wont kick over, doesnt even sound like it wants to start. my foot is killing me from all the stupid kick starts! IT HURTS! And i was wearing boots!

MAN! 15 years of riding other peoples bikes. then this is my first bike and i cant get it running! this is fustrating, PLEASE HELP ASAP!! :bang:

Thanks in advance!

-Leester

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
When you kick the bike over is there much compression? Also remove the spark plug after a good few kicks and check to see if it has fuel on it, if any. If it is bone dry then start with your fuel tank line, check if fuel is actually getting to the carb when you turn the valve. If it is flowing freely from the tank, try tilting the bike on its side and see if fuel flows out of the overflow pipes at the base of the carb. Otherwise, remove carb and clean it, check float height adjustment as to what your manual specifies, and make sure it isn't jamming up. If the carb is all fine and it still doesn't start, check the reeds for wear and damage.

Last edited:

Leester145

Nov 16, 2005
When I kick it yes, I feel compression.
I will check on the spark plug thing tomorrow and tilting the bike on the side. theres 2 holes that fuel can come out, one on the back and one on the side. the one on the back has a long hose that goes to the bottom of the bike. I do not have the manual yet but I should be expecting it next wednesday. I just ordered it today.

I am not sure about the float heights, how do you adjust them. All I see is the two floats go on these two rods thats it. theres a small stick that sticks out the side of each float, should that be on the bottom or the top? I want to make sure its not upside down on the rod.

Again im a new guy in the process of learning how bike engines work and how to repair on them. but please explain these reeds, trust me I will find it. Im a very fast learner.

I appreciate and will try the information you have provided me so far.

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
I'm not sure how your floats are setup mate so I can't assist you any further with relation to that side of things :( Best to wait until the manual gets to you and check it in there. The reeds are inbetween the carb and the inlet to the engine, but being an old bike I am not even sure whether you have them lol.

Leester145

Nov 16, 2005
Okay, i tried spraying wd40 on the plug and poured a little bit of gas down the spark plug hole.did it twice.
no difference. I tried adjusting the jet settings as I started, no difference, didnt even feel like it exploded or anything. I checked the spark plug again and it does still give a spark.
When I took out the spark plug and kicked it, I felt alot less pressure on the kick start. So Im assuming that means it does get compression.
any more ideas or methods to try guys? keep em coming. ill try em out.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Morvo said:
...The reeds are inbetween the carb and the inlet to the engine, but being an old bike I am not even sure whether you have them lol.
My uncle has one like this, and it has no reeds at all. There is a big hole at the back of the piston. It draws the fuel in the crankcase I suppose. I would bet on fouled spark plug. Often a fouled plug will give sparks when you test it out but still won't work when you bolt it on.

Leester145

Nov 16, 2005
Okay, I guess ill have to try a new spark plug.

isnt there a special one for the bike or will one from autozone work?

by the way, how can you tell if you fouled a plug?

yes I put some gas down the spark plug hole and put the spark plug on, no difference.

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Do you know what the bikes called? If the bottom of the spark plug is real wet chances are its fouled, you can trying wiping it clean/dry with a cloth. Does the old spark plug have a code number on it? I'm thinking for a 73 enduro your bike might be a TS 250 If so a NGK br8es will work wich you can get from walmart or an autostore.

But you definatly need the right plug some are longer and shoter and to hot or cold.

Is this what your bike looks like?

http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/suzuki-ts250-72-bikepics-274650.jpg

Last edited:

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
That bike may have points. And as noted, the spark may be visible, but too weak to start the engine. Look for points and if found, clean. And use a new plug, B8ES should be ok.

Leester145

Nov 16, 2005
*********************UPDATE********************

NOO!!! I broke the stupid bolt into the kick shifter!!!

:bang:

Ill get it fixed though. I found out you know theres a rod for the clutch, theres a black rubber piece around that, apparently its got a cut in it and leaks motor oil I am trying to use some kind of sealant to fix that.

Hopefully that will work.

when you take off the cover off the left side, then you see the round thing that spins. is that whole thing supposed to be filled with motor oil? just wondering cuz I broke the gasket on that and now I am trying to seal it with some liquid gasket making sealer thing.

Leester145

Nov 16, 2005
alright im gettin pissed off and this is starting to make me feel like selling the bike. heres the bs I have done

New spark plug
cleaned carb, MANY times
replaced fuel lines
poured gas in cylinder to see if it would fire but failed
adjusted jet settings but nothing worked.
dumped old oil and gas and put fresh gas in
checked for spark on spark plug gets spark
I feel compression through the kick starter

WHAT THE HELL!!!!

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
Vintage bikes are awesome once they run, I had a Suzuki TS250 and recently got a 1979 Yamaha DT 175. They're fun bikes, but you DEFINATELY need a repair manual, because you can't find much help on the internet a lot of the time. As for the flywheel magneto (the big round thing in the left case) that should not have oil on it, that's part of your ignition system. But since you sold it, this doesn't really matter.

Top Bottom