Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I'm 28 and have owned a handful of bikes including 60cc 2 stroke Rockford, XR100 (beat that bike down!!!), 250R ATC, then a 97 RM250, 89 KX250, finally I'm on a 2001 RM250. I got a taste of a YZ400F in 1998, then a 426, 450 and almost every year of the YZ250F.

I've ridden lots of different bikes. Enough to know that the 250 two stroke power is just about perfect for me. I don't have to clutch it like a 125, but I can hang it out on the trails HARD and rarely tap 100% of it's power. So it just seems like the perfect amount to manage.

ON top of that, I primarily love the tame low end + EXPLOSIVE top end. Coming a close second, is the mechanical simplicity since I do all the work on my bikes.

For the past couple years I've envisioned myself purchasing SOME kind of 250 two stroke brand new as a treat to myself. Since HONDA is done after this year, it will probably not be a honda. I'm not picky though, aside from minute differences I could pretty much live with any brand (Big 4 + KTM).

Lately though, I've wondered if I shouldn't make the move to a four stroke. Mainly due to fear of a dwindling market. I would just hate to invest in a nice new 250 two stroke, only to discover that hop up and factory parts become more slim. I would hate to see stuff like one or two graphics kits for my brand new 2 stroke, but 5 or 6 flavors for the 250F?!?

I don't completely hate the thumpers though, I don't like the notchy gear boxes, but could learn to live with them. I also don't like the power coming in OPPOSITE a two stroke, (Explosive low end to a tame top end). But if that were my only option, I could be happy on either a 250F or a 450F. I could even maintain one, it just doesn't look like fun at all to work on.

SO that's my delimma. Should I just go for a 2 stroke again, or should I make the change and enjoy a booming market? This bike will most likely be a keeper.

Top Bottom