After Engine & Suspenion Mods, What's Next?

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Your opinions please..

After carb mods, reeds, pipe, and the other usual engine mods, and, after the front & rear suspenion has been re-valved and you've found the right tires, what's the next mod?

I'm thinking either steering damper or auto clutch; your preferences or other advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I've gone with the WER and now Im looking into the EFM auto clutch. Im still hoping to get an AirStriker(sp?) from RB Designs. No engine mods yet either. Race Tech suspension (booked for Nov), DF2, FMF 35. I seem to spend most of my money on protective gear for the bike and myself. I doubt this is any help in deciding what you want but its just I need all the protection I can get. Not sure about you.
What about a supercharger? Just kidding it still wont be an MX bike. :nener:.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My last ride without a damper was almost 10 years ago. Broke my collar bone in a crash that never would have happened with a damper. Not only will you ride faster with less effort, but you will crash less. I vote for the damper.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
There's rider ergonomics:
1. Tall seat foam
2. Reposition pegs / better pegs
3. Better fitting bars / shortened bars /fat bars
4. Gripper seat cover
5. Shorty kickstart lever
6. Quality grips

Then there's fuel considerations:
1. Different race gas / blends
2. 2 stroke oil brands and mix ratios
(While most riders believe they have found the best combo here, the same have probably never experimented with changing ratios, brands, octanes, etc.)

Then theres guarding your investment:
1. Skid plate engine
2. waterpump guard
3. pipe guard
4. radiator guards
5. Fuel filter
6. Air filter aftermarket replacement
(How many are still running the stock air filter? Not much kills a motor faster than sucking on dirt)
7. Bark busters
8. Disc brake guards

Also theres reliability upgrades:
1. Decent hose clamps.
2. Hex head hardware in place of slots and phillips
3. Stainless steel in place of stock nuts and bolts
4. Waterproof grease
5. Zerk fittings (at least on the steering head)
6. Decent brake pads
7. Hydraulic fluid flush
8. Those with 220's should swap out that hand grenade of a piston before considering any motor hop-up.
9. Heavy duty tire tubes

Other hop-ups might include:
1. torque spacer and Aftermarket (lighter) spark arrester / muffler
2. gearing changes
3. Flywheel weight
4. Hi wattage lighting coil / brighter light
5. thin wire spark plug
6. Fork air bleeders

Misc.
1. Better protecting riding gear
2. Hydration system
3. Upgrade tool kit
4. Signing up for an advanced offroad riding class
5. Two way radios to communicate and find your lost riding buddy.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Rekluse does not have one as of last week and they're not sure when. I think Revloc does but it's a bit pricey for me.
EFM has it now! Send them your clutch assembly and $500 and they will turn it around in 2 to 3 days (according to Chris; Gary hasn't been available for the last week). If you are thinking about changing clutch plates send new ones for a better set up. They also have a left hand mounted rear brake available - it's now a hydraulic set-up as cable version didn't work so well. You can not retain your manual clutch (like you can with Revloc) and a left hand brake also deletes you old rear brake.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I'm pretty happy with horsepower and torque and would rather not get into replating or installing an iron sleeve as current plated cylinder is perfect.
Are there much in the way of gains to head work assuming I want to use pump gas?

Top Bottom