RickSA

Jan 24, 2008
Please could someone help with the next mod to do! I've had allot of different advice. Not sure what follow.

The bike has a FMF Gnarly, Power Core II, Boyesen Power Reeds on stock valve block, Air box lid off, twin-air filter and a Pro-Light piston.

What would be the next best move porting or a different valve block? Are there other better power/$ mods?

Thanks for the help!
Rick

duanesa

Feb 13, 2008
Hi Rick

I'm sitting with pretty much the same problem - ok, I've still got a std piston, but also have the rest of the mods, I was also about to do porting, but then after talking to a few ppl I've held off on the mod, some say that it will affect reliability of the bike, while others say that it won't and that I should go ahead. So for now I've decided to concentrate on the suspension and will think about porting or something else in the future again.

Please let me know what you decide and how it works out.

Duane

RickSA

Jan 24, 2008
I think i'm just looking for a better/smoother power delivery. But other than that love the bike!

If anything with the suspension i'll go down on the shock spring. I only weigh +-72KG with kit, and on the MX-tech page they think i'm almost right with the current springs! Not sure if it is worth going down a size from a 4.9 to a 4.8 or 4.6?? Am i wrong thinking that? It does feel a bit hard!

Thanks again for all the help
Rick

qwest

Jan 26, 2008
an easy way of porting without to much risk is filing the piston crown edges down where it faces the ports.this causes the timing to open earlier, best to research the timing stats first.i did this on my rz 500 when i had it.used rz350 clutch springs,still bloody slipped on full power though.

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
Hallo kerels!

you want your KDX to fly? contact Stuart 084 512 9533, also check out www.e-dirt.co.za. look for Mr. Universe, dit is ekkke

My guess is you 1st need a proper dyno/jetting then porting is next on the list if suspension is sorted, other than that... upgrade to another make or model, there is only so much you can do to it.

Appologies to the rest for the tete a tete in our home lingo!

RickSA

Jan 24, 2008
Is cutting the OEM fork springs down and adding a bigger spacer possible, or will it bottom out too early? I need to go to 0.39 or 0.40! Some posts say it wont work, but those guys were talking about going from OEM to 0.44! Would the smaller amount be possible? Am now starting to see the light with this whole suspension thing!

Spoke to Stuart, he said that porting is limited with gnarly. he also said to work on the suspension!

Thanks Guys

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Best bang for the buck is a set of KX forks and a revalve on the shock.

I've done a bunch of mods to the motor, wish I had done the suspension first!

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
If your suspension is working for you then go for the RB carb modification if possible. Not sure if they ship overseas, but if they do, it's a must have. If not, try making friends on this website and do the old person to person shipment method. I have an 02 220 with FMF Torque pipe, FMF Q silencer, airbox lid removed, Wiseco piston, V-Force II intake, Fredette 40 KG front springs, sag set properly on front and rear, and the ever popular RB Designs CARB MOD and I don't think any rider with equal skill can beat me on any bike. If so, they spent a LOT more for the bragging rights.

Note to anyone reading. I'm talking hare scrambles not motocross or joyriding. At my age, hitting a tree in 2nd is better than casing a double in 3rd. :)

RickSA

Jan 24, 2008
If I do go ahead and change the whole fount end for USD forks do they have to be from a KX? Would CR, RM or YZ forks work?

RickSA

Jan 24, 2008
125 or 250 forks?

Do they have different spring rates? Which would be better for me? I weigh 72Kg (160lbs) with kit?

Thanks

Top Bottom