yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
So is there any difference in a set of aftermarket clutch plates as opposed to some factory replacements? I have a set of EBC's in there right now and they seem to suck. They haven't held up well at all, it hasn't been a year since I put them in there, only like 5 or 6 (not even one mud run) races on them. The original stockers lasted at least 2 years with several more races and at least 2 mud runs before they were shot. Is there any reason to believe that a set of Barnett's would be any better than factory?

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I don't like OEM due to them having aluminum plates. Right now I've got the racing EBC's and they seem to be holding up fine (the stockers lasted 6 months) I've also had Barnetts but sold that bike before I could find out about long term durability. When it's time for new ones, sometime next year, I'll be trying the Moose brand.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by marcusgunby
Ive heard of many reports of replacement clutch plates have quality issues.

I'll second that.
Stack height problems and poor edge finishing has convinced me to stick with OEM whenever possible on japanese bikes.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Ditto here, I have just heard of problems and honestly I don't think the savings are THAT much. But one of the hot things to do on the newer CR's was to replace the aluminum plates with steel's to reduce the oil contamination. This is the only time I would run aftermarket.

Aholland

Jun 14, 2002
I prefer OEM for one reason. Engagement. I find the Barnett's are very grabby. The OEM's seem to have a smoother engagement and allow me to slip them easier. I have had no problems with either, as far as wear characteristics. I would definitely never go back to aluminim plates.

If you are doing a clutch job, make sure you resurface/file/cleanup the clutch basket. You may be getting poor clutch action from a clutch basket that is heavily worn.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Another thing that we've noticed with my EBC plates that I'm currently running is that the oil seems much darker. Especially when we run Mobil 1 ATF in it as opposed to the cheaper stuff. It was never as dark before on the old stock plates that were previously in there. Is there a correlation, or is it because I abuse the clutch?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Roostmaker
I've been running the EBC's with no problems.

I am about to instal an EBC kit in the Zinger, what oil would you recomend for oil? I am currently using Valvoline 50 wt. with no problems.

Thanks,
Phillip

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom