OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by XRpredator :
"Just weighing in"
Har har! :D Good pun.

"No bike is "perfect" for everyone stock. Some people get lucky (that 150 lb intermediate guy!)"
Yea, ive heard this one in the bike mags too, and when i think about it.....COME ON NOW! How many of you know of, or even have a friend who knows of ANYONE (male that is) who weighs in around 150 pounds????? :think:
Shoot even most of the DOGS around here weigh more than that! Yeesh! :eek:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
uhh, people with reasonably small frames that are in good shape and/or are shorter can weigh 150 lbs or even (can you imagine!) slightly under that!

I think Japanese tend to be a bit shorter, or maybe the weight of the wang plays a role here... :eek:

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
If wang weight played a part, id weigh 120 instead of 230. =]

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
I've got a 426 with no engine mods, but quite a few other mods that make it much easier to ride (especially when standing up). I don't race too much and mainly ride for fun. I wish the mfgs could make a bike that people who are about 6' tall could actually ride in a standing position comfortably. Has anyone tried the 1/2" lower and 1/2" back IMS footpegs? How did you like them?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Jeff Gilbert weighs a buck fifty...and I do too, when I take my belly off! :)

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I only weigh 140lbs. The suspension on my XR works just fine for me. If I can stay light then I should never have any problems with suspension. Also, engines have a lot more zip for me.

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
I am exactly 150 lbs and I just got my bike revalved. It helped tons! I wanted my suspension a little stiffer than it was. I got what I wanted and now I am faster for it. I didn't want my stock bar bend, so I bought some $65 dollar renthals in a higher bend and rolled 'em way forward. That made me more comfortable and when you are comfortable and confident then you will be faster. whodathunkit?

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Bottom line is, if all you want to do to your bike is set it up properly for your weight/terrain/skill/riding style, fine, so be it. Just don't trash other people who like to blow wads of cash on stuff that they like. Its their money, their business, so stay out of it and quit stressing out.

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
I just wish I had money to blow on my bike. After I got my suspension done I am broke. :ugg: Next on my to do list is a big bore!

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Originally posted by motometal

I used to holeshot the 250 B class with a totally stock CR250 with a bashed in pipe...

That's really not relevant guage of bike performance. I have seen 125 and 80 riders smokin' the 250's. I boils down to individual ability. Just look at Shane Watts. That guy could race anything, really, and win.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
true, but i'm really not that great at starts, and I shouldn't be since I haven't spent any significant time racing or practicing starts. I see your point, although I haven't ever seen ANY 80cc bike, no matter how modified, that could hang with a stock 250 past about 3rd gear on a start (unless you are assuming the 80 rider is a shane watts equivalent and the 250 rider is, well, a complete dork).

or, unless the 250 is a, well, a four stroke! :p
hooo hoooo haaa haaa haaaaaa haaaaa

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Einstein
My question, finally, is why do so many people feel the need to buy many aftermarket products to do good in racing???

It's a really a pity that you'd take such a closed minded view and by association miss one of the great pleasures of motorcycling. The pleasure of trying things out and experimenting with your bike.

You say you are riding a "new bike" but it's probably clear to anyone reading this thread that lots of practice, a good diet and a maniacal devotion to a training program would have allowed you to be as you put it "competitive" on any bike built in the last 5-8 years. We all know this stuff but in spite of that knowledge we rationalize new bike purchases and we buy "go fast stuff" for our bikes under the guise of "being competitive" when in truth all it does for most of us is provide a pleasant side step from the boredom of everyday realities like work, and taxes and the millions of other mundane duties that come with waking up. Those moments when you build something for your bike, or install a new part and go out and "dial it in" are some of the most pleasant moments you can have as a rider. It's a shame you probably won't be enjoying them along with us.

I have to go now. My spare CRF450 cam gear came in today and I have to go chuck it in the mill and slot it so I can adjust the cam timing. Who knows I might even improve on Honda's fine work, and if not I'll have a few fabulous hours added to my collection of pleasant motorcycle moments. :D

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
yes, but keep in mind, Rich, most people aren't as honest with themselves and others regarding motives/reasons/rationale.

I don't hear you trying to tell us you "must have" adjustable cam timing to compete.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Anything more than the 9 stock horsepower in my TTR125 is a massive rationalization for me :)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
COME ON NOW! How many of you know of, or even have a friend who knows of ANYONE (male that is) who weighs in around 150 pounds????? :think:
Well I don't know any that weigh 150, but I weigh about 145 with gear :silly:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by smb_racing

Well I don't know any that weigh 150, but I weigh about 145 with gear :silly:

I was 120lbs and 6' up till 19 years of age and then I got up to 135 until I hit 23. Then in five short years I ballooned up to be as large as Gomer's left side :)

Ivan

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Kcih, I slapped on a set of Fastway F4 Evolutoin series lowboy pegs before my last ride.. They also move the pegs 1/2" down and 1/2" back. It makes more difference than what you would think, at least in my case it did. It made as much or more difference than the tall seat foam! They may not be for everybody.. I have a 34" inseam so they are welcomed by me.. Check in the product reviews forum for my mini review of the pegs.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Originally posted by tomhat1
I buy aftermarket parts because I like to feel my head snap back when I twist the throttle! :aj:

Too bad aftermarket parts that produce results like that are few & far between.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Originally posted by Truespode
I was 120lbs and 6' up till 19 years of age and then I got up to 135 until I hit 23. Then in five short years I ballooned up to be as large as Gomer's left side :)

Ivan
Sounds just like me, I'm only 21 so I've a few years, the left side is gomer's largest side isn't it :confused:

Einstein

May 27, 2002
It's a really a pity that you'd take such a closed minded view

I'm not closed minded (maybe hypocritical) But now my bike is not stock anymore. I got feed up with the bike bogging so much in the deep sand so I am now (well tomorrow at least) V-force equipped. And you're right, getting everything tuned perfect is so much fun, but only with some frustration mixed in :confused:

we rationalize new bike purchases

yep everything on my old one was wearing out or breaking :( , but it was reeeeally fast and fun

I was absolutely amazed at how much faster I could go after attending a moto-x school. That $250 made me faster than spending thousands on the engine and suspension could ever have. A cheap mod to myself ;)

Top Bottom