Ah Geez, how to cut tank bolt off

Bark3rd

Jan 5, 2009
My 81 has a Clarke tank on it, however the long bolt that goes through the front of the tank and the frame is giving me muchas problemas. I need to get the tank off.

On the threaded side that sticks out about 2" the nut is all fubared and needs to be cut off. I tried to drill it out but the bit slipped and drilled a hole in the tank.

Brilliant. :bang:

What tool would you guys use to cut this damn thing off, i have them all, just afraid to make sparks.

The tank is empty except for a bit sloshing around in the bottom of tank. Im sure there are enough fumes to blow me up, unfortunately no way to completely drain tank.

Theres not enough room to use a hacksaw.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'd putty the hole shut,then fill the tank with water and have at it. No room for vapor= less chance of a boom. That's just what I would do if I were afraid of causing a spark.

Then I'd grab my dremel with the flex extension and cut what I needed to cu

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
as above but remember grinding equalls heat so keep a bucket of water ready to cool rubber and plastic parts. Once you remove the tank and have an exposed bolt shaft remeber to shock it a bit, hitting it 3 - 4 times with a hammer (about as hard as you would hit a 4" nail) to loosen corrosion before you twist or unwind. Hammers are very useful tools but a miss will always hurt something.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Papakeith said:
I'd putty the hole shut,then fill the tank with water and have at it. No room for vapor= less chance of a boom. That's just what I would do if I were afraid of causing a spark.

Then I'd grab my dremel with the flex extension and cut what I needed to cu

10-4 on the water, a little fuel in the tank is much more dangerous than a full tank of fuel :cool:

Top Bottom