KDX/KX Hybrid: Procedure Timeline & Compatability

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
KDX/KX Hybrid: Procedure Timeline & Compatability Questions

I searched for the KX125/KDX200 hybrid and think I found the procedure. A couple of questions.

1) Does it matter what year the KX125 chassis is for this swap? If so, what year(s) are "best."

2) Is the procedure pretty much as follows?

Step 1 Modify the swing arm/engine junction: Shave 19mm off of the swingarm so the KDX engine mount fits.
Step 2 Fabricate new head brackets: Cut out new brackets & weld them onto the frame. Some years reportedly just fit in. Any dimensions or recommendations?
Step 3 Remove rear head stay: Hack off the rear head stay and grind it smooth so the gas tank can fit over the KDX200 engine.
Step 4 Fabricate/weld new motor mounts: Cut out motor mounts and weld them on the frame. Any dimensions?
Step 5 Modify tank/coolant tower: Have the gas tank milled or heat it up and dimple it gently with a rounded hammer.
Step 6 Modify the air box: Not sure how to modify it, but is supposedly needs to be done.
Step 7 Modify exhaust and silencer: Reportedly you just have to bend or dent it.
Step 8 Run electrical: I am guessing this is just running the wiring from the black box (CDI).

3) If I am not a welder, but my father is (he's retired but did it for years), how much of this can I do with in-garage his help, how much should I have done by a shop, and how much info would they need aside from just having the frame, engine, and a description of what I want them to do?

4) What should I expect the rough approximate total cost would be for the finished bike?

-Cheers

Last edited:

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
Oh yeah, I should also note I got the step-by-step procedure here:

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/Buckatana12/page1.html

Feel free to comment on its thoroughness, or if the author sees it feel free to add anything that you think might make it more thorough or that you would do differently. I am thinking it might make a nice father/son project with my dad if it is not TOO complex or costly.

-Cheers

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
I do not want to beat a dead horse, but is there a nice thread (or more) dealing with these questions that I missed in searching the archives?

-Cheers

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
It would be nice if that were the case, but as far as I know it that topic piece meal. Lots of info but not distilled into a readable/understandable text.
You link is the best I've seen.

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
I built a hybrid using a 1990 KDX motor in a 2003 KX125 frame. I'll take a stab at your questions although it's been a while so I'm not sure if I remember all the details off the top of my head.

1) I had the 1990 engine so I used that and searched for a 2003 and newer chassis which has the head stay on the rear like the earlier KDX. This eliminated the welding and grinding on the head.

2)-1) I don't remember (it's in my notes) the exact amount but I had to cut the swingarm since the KDX engine is wider. The inner sleeves for the bearings needed to be accurately cut and they are hardened steel. The engine also needed to be bored larger since the KX swingarm bolt is a larger diameter.

2)-2) I just had to make new aluminum plates to tie the head to the frame (on the rear of the head). I laser cut them at work so if you are "hybridizing" similar models let me know and I'll laser cut some more.

2)-3) Wasn't an issue on the models I used due to the head stay on the engine and the chassis both being on the rear. The tank fit with no issues.

2)-4) I think I used 12 ga material and just made them fit and look OEM - didn't write a laser program for that.

2)-5) Again, not an issue with the model years I used.

2)-6) I had to machine a tapered spacer ring since the airbox boot was larger in diameter and farther back than the carb inlet. I basically machined the ring out of aluminum, split it (slotting saw), stretched it over the carb inlet (with some RTV in between), and clamped the air boot on to hold everything in place. I suppose there are other ways of doing it but this was pretty professional and works well. I can supply prints of the ring if needed and the part itself if anyone wants to pay for the machine time.

2)-7) I built a pipe and silencer basically from scratch. I started with parts I got from Dyno Port since at the time they didn't have a pipe for the conversion with the newer chassis. They may have one by now. This was by far the most time consuming part of the project but it turned out well. If I recall correctly, there were about 15 separate pieces to the pipe that had to be hand fitted together. Once I had it tacked up, I TIG welded it, Scotchbrited it, painted it with VHT clear header paint, and baked it.

2)-8) Wiring was easy - the hardest part was figuring out where to mount the CDI.

3) The welding is fairly straightforward if you're good with light gauge TIG (for the pipe). I feel that you should be accurate and precise in all the work especially when narrowing the swingarm and the inner bearing sleeves so this may be something to send to a machine shop.

4) That totally depends on what you have to pay for the KX and what you can get out of what's left when you're done. I had the 1990 KDX with many mods. I bought the 2003 KX125 for $2700 - it was 14 months old at the time. The pipe and silencer parts were 2-$300. Other than that it was nickel and dime stuff. I think I auctioned the left over KX parts for around $800 and sold the KDX leftovers to Fredette for $600.

Other things I remember:
a) I used a Fredette kicker (ground on a little for clearance) since the OEM one hit the frame.

b) I did have some problems getting a clutch cable that was long enough for the KX chassis (and CR high-bend bars) and can get you a Motion Pro part number if needed.

c) I lengthened the shifter 1.25" since it ended up in a different relationship to the foot peg.

d) This is a sweet bike and I enjoy it a lot. I don't think you'll regret doing it!

There are some pics of the bike when it was fresh on the msn KDX site: http://groups.msn.com/KDXRidersCommunity/kx200gn83tmia.msnw

I also have pretty good notes on the job if you need them and would be happy to help in any way I can.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Nice work :cool:

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
gn83tm said:
I built a hybrid using a 1990 KDX motor in a 2003 KX125 frame. I'll take a stab at your questions although it's been a while so I'm not sure if I remember all the details off the top of my head.

Thank you a million! That is awesome! It might be a while until I try this, but I will definitely refer to this when I do.

-Cheers

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
The clutch cable I ended up using was a Motion Pro #03-0173. I think the original application was the 1989 KX125. I did have to use a small sleeve at the clutch perch adjuster since the bore on the adjuster I had (a Moose part) was a larger diameter than the end of the cable. It probably wouldn't be too hard to get the correct adjuster but I just used a small sleeve to make up the difference in diameter. This cable was longer than the KDX cable and got the job done for me.

Top Bottom