Air filter oil Question

el_guapo

Dec 3, 2005
Newbie here, I'm new to MX in every aspect, I just purchased a used '03 kx250 2 stroke, my questions is: does soaking the air filter with 10-40 motor oil harm the machine? a co-worker told me that "that's the way it's done", so I was dumb enough to believe him and I went ahead and washed the filter in soap and water, dired it and soaked it in motor oil.! I then squized the excess out of course. now i'm nurveous about going out on my next ride, i don't know how the bike will react. any input is welcome. thanks. :ohmy:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Don't do it! Use proper air filter oil as it is specially formulated to be sticky and help stop dirt from getting in the engine. Motor oil could be used in a pinch, but air filter oil does a way better job and doesn't cost too much.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
That's the way it was done in the old days. It won't hurt your bike, but as speedymaniac said there are specific oils made for the job now which are better suited to it.

el_guapo

Dec 3, 2005
Thanks, guys.

I'm relieved a little. I'm gonna have to use the proper stuff next time.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…