shawnhug

Dec 22, 2003
Hey all I'm new to the forum and dirtbiking and love all the great tips. I have a question about my air filter. I just bought the bike and the filter was clean and oiled with real tacky oil. I decided to clean it and re-oil it just to be sure it was clean and now after 1 ride and about 3 weeks later most of the oil is still dripping from the airbox. I felt the filter and it didn't feel tacky like it did when I bought it but felt pretty dry. Is this okay or has too much oil dripped out of it. (I checked it after my one ride and there are just a few specs of debris stuck in it)...BTW my bike is a 2000 YZ125 with a twin-air filter and PJ1 oil(I think)

dkortje

Sponsoring Member
Aug 30, 2002
Make sure you are using a filter oil. After oiling the filter, squeeze (don't wring!!!) out excess oil and let it air dry for 15 minutes or so. This should make it tacky, although some oils are tackier than others. If the filter is too wet, it might foul your bike.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
yep. make sure you a using a good air filter oil. it should be tacky, but not dripping off. sounds like you may be using the wrong oil type.

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
PJ1 do make a good filter oil, the rule of thumb is to spray on just enough oil so that when you squeeze the filter hard, oil just starts to pool out between your fingers. Leave filter overnight in a plastic bag and then use.

Top Bottom