fmxsteckel

Jul 20, 2002
I do freestyle tricks and want to cut out my airbox so i can grab somewhere doing new tricks but i don't wanta hurt my engine getting too much dirt through into the air filter...would this really hurt my bike or not be such a big deal?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I doubt it is going to hurt anything, but you will have to play with jetting.

Try running the bike without the sidepanals to get an idea of how it runs. I think I would make some sort of a test box to fit around the filter that allowed room for your hands. The one gallon milk jugs and duct tape eould let you find a design. When you find the perfect setup, get some good plastic for a permanent one.

RJH

Jun 15, 2002
I wish somebody invented big air when I was young! If your not racing you may want to remove the air box and use a carb filter – like a K&N brand. You must keep the dirt and dust out – very bad when it gets in. Would suck to have your engine quit in pre flight!! Using an aftermarket filter will make it lean – everywhere – so richen up. But – you will lose performance on newer models no matter what. Ever see a factory rider not using the air box these days? The air box is tuned with a specific resonate frequency to get the airflow right. The wave matches the carb and actually speeds up airflow at a specific time. The air box has become a tuning source in the past few years. On snowmobiles – the overflow tubes are vented into air box for further tuning advancements –which may not be feasible in bikes. Bob Hogg :whiner:

Aug 6, 2000
I don't have a airbox (the guy that owned my bike before me took it off and lost it) but I run a UNI dual stage pod filter. The only thing you need to worry about is you might have to change the jetting and cleaning you filter more often.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
with just a pod filter you'll collect a lot more dirt and your filter will be suceptable to things such as water and sticks that could damage it, but since you're on a nice groomed track all the time bustin' tricks this doesn't apply :think:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'd only make small cuts then, and toward the top, have you thought about maybe just cutting the side panels?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom