cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
i keep finding coal dust from the pervious owners riding area(towercity). what pieces can i take off my airbox n disasemble ? what should i reseal it w/? weather strip adhesive or somethin?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You can take anything that is bolted on, off. Just don't loose any hardware and start wrenching. Once you get your airbox away from the carb, clean it up real good with the hose.
You will find places you never dreamed of cleaning. Continue on until you have your bike pristine. It's an exercise every dirtbiker should go through.
Also, the next time you think you have your bike clean as a whistle...lay it down on it's side and take a good look. :) (oh and keep the hose handy)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think that is the spray stuff, yes? It has it's place but I don't think there is it. I don't think I would try to seal that area up. You should really be gettting at your carb if not often, some. And having that connection sealed would be a pain. Doesn't the steel connector keep it sealed?
I would use clear silicone adhesive to seal anything.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
weatherstrip adhesive will work there, something that doesn't harden all the way would be good to as there is a certain amount of flex in that area, maybe some strip caulking like seals around wires through the firewall on a car.

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
agreed, just unbolt it, hang on to the hardware though. Throw it in a 5 gallon bucket with some Simple Green or a comparable degreaser and fill it with water. Let it soak for a few minutes then loosen the dust and oil and debris with a rag or sponge. You can clean your air filter the same way, but i would highly recommend using Spectro Foam Filter Cleaner and Spectro Filter Oil (just follow the directions)

Also, i heard you can use some mild silicone to seal it up.....go down to the hardware store and find a clear-coat aerosol silicone that will work as a sealing adhesive. Go easy on it though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom